• Advertisement

1996 Vauxhall Brava pick-up in Barbados

Show us your Rig!

1996 Vauxhall Brava pick-up in Barbados

Postby brownm5 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:46 am

2013-05-20 10.19.48.jpg
Hello to all,

I live in pleasant breezy Barbados and have just purchased a Vauxhall Brava 2WD (Isuzu Pick-up). This little truck at some point had its tired 2.5 N/A replaced with a 2.8 TD (4JB1-T).
It makes for a pretty peppy machine with tons of torque and I find extremely fuel efficient. For months I searched for anything diesel, the choices here are limited, you can settle for a mosquito fogger (Mitsubishi L200) or an over-rated and always over-priced Toyota Hilux (Toyota is considered to be gold here).

I found this little Vauxhall for sale, no one wanted it because of the odd ball badge, however I was able to see past that to the solid platform within. Truck had worked its whole life with a trades man, it received regular oil changes but nothing more. My first task was a full service, changed all filters, oils (gear box and diff included). Truck was running very rough with bio diesel which I decided was not for me. Whole intake was choked up with oil and carbon from the breather pipe (need to add an oil catch). Cleaned out the intake plumbing checked the turbo and scrubbed out 5 years of grease, grime and dust out of its cream interior.

My only experience with the 4JB1 is in a generator plant where I worked.

Some things I want to do:

1. Replace front wheel bearings
2. Adjust valve lash (probably not done in years)
3. Replace leaky engine seals
4. Patch up rust in tray and replace plywood with spray on bed liner
5. fix sagging drivers door hinge
6. fix driver's window regulator ( worn out)
7. Add an intercooler
8. Rims/Tyres
9. fresh paint

I intend to have a sweet daily driver, comfortable and reliable. It won't have to work very hard, just be good on fuel and fun to drive!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brownm5
Isuzu Baby

City: Yorkshire
Vehicle: 1996 Vauxhall Brava (Isuzu Pickup) 4BJ1-T (2.8TD)

Re: 1996 Vauxhall Brava pick-up in Barbados

Postby muzila » Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 am

That looks like a dam nice truck to base a project on. :D

If you need info just ask away. Many a person on here has done at least 1 or more of the things you mentioned. Some have done all and more... ;) ;) ;)

We is a friendly bunch and don't bite much. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And welcome to our wee forum!
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Tue May 21, 2013 2:59 pm

I did the valve lash on my motor about a year ago. Very simple to do. My motor was just past 200000km and no spanner marks on the adjusters so its fair to say they had never been touched. Half did not need adjusting and the others were barely worth the effort.
Looks a nice truck
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby brownm5 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Adjusted the valve lash wasn't too bad everything had opened up a bit and needed adjusting, made it feel just a bit smoother.
I Have alot of work I would like like to do with this truck, from the bodywork to its engine (as $$$ allows). Will appreciate any guidance or advice along the way. I'll be doing the body work myelf as time allows, hope to find an appropriate intercooler this week and somewhere to mount it.

After seeing other trucks of this size I think I want to make it a clean sporty looking car - nice rims, lower profile tyres, a colour matching front bumper, just a cool diesel cruiser.
brownm5
Isuzu Baby

Postby brownm5 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:15 am

Got a steal on some beefy wheels, 15" HRS rims with some rather huge Maxxis 265 profile tyres. Had to turn up the torsion bars just for them to fit. Now there's a change in my direction, decided I would prefer a higher ride height, the off road look. lol although it will never off-road very well with it being 2WD. What type of diff did these trucks come with? I don't even know if it's an LSD or just an open diff? Is there a way to tell asides from lighting up the back wheels and counting the stripes left on the road?

Also looking for advice on a one inch or 1 1/2 inch lift, just love how the truck feels on those huge tyres! so much smoother. Tyres scrub the inner fenders when I hit a dip so I need to lift it a bit -
Had some fun yesterday beating through some bush and slippery cane roads to get a good vantage point for rally Barbados 2013, so Im bent on this truck having at least the ability to crawl through country lanes, nothing too hard core.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brownm5
Isuzu Baby

Return to Members Rigs