• Advertisement

Isuzu mu - winch, bulbar, lifted, MUDs

Show us your Rig!

Re: Isuzu mu - winch, bulbar, lifted, MUDs

Postby topgun94 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:30 pm

I went for a few different camping trips. I Also had the pleasure of taking part in an Australian 4wd Action trip were i lost 4wd on the first day and kept up the entire trip in 2wd.
I lost 4wd due to breaking my front lokka. Driving in 2wd also caused the rear pinion to start leaking, rear main to start leaking and also had a manifold gasket seal blow aswel!
I cant believe this all happened on the same weekend when i usually have nothing go wrong.
Got to drive around the Zero $ zook aswel on the trip which was heaps of fun.
Few pictures of camping trips below.
Bloody Ice on the swag!
13.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby topgun94 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Decided that the MU needed a few serious repairs. I am in the process atm of replacing all gaskets (Minus head) on the old girl.
Also replacing all of my coolant and water hoses while the engine is out.

Things also on the list to modify while its not my daily driver
- Engine gaskets, seals and hoses
- Removal of AC
- USe AC condensor as power steering cooler
- Custom intercooler and scoop setup
- Mounting a second 100amp Alternator where the AC was
- Front differential rebuild
- Rear differential rebuild
- Raise fuel tank to match body lift.
- Rear brake caliper rebuilds
- Catch can
- Front Diff drop
- Might also look at a hydraulic handbrake setup.
22.jpg
21.jpg
20.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby topgun94 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Front LOKKA - Broke the springs and retaining pins. 3 Year warranty on these bad boys! Rang on friday afternoon and 4wdsystems had the parts to me monday afternoon!
16.jpg

15.jpg

I also got a new daily driver! Very excited to announce and introduce my MY14 2014 Isuzu Dmax to the forum. Will create another build thread for it.
17.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Once the MU is back up and running i have been asked to take part of the Custom Truck segment on the 4wd action DVD and have a feature article in the magazine.
The editors words - 'If thats how well it goes in 2wd i want to see it running all 4!'
Cant wait to get the old girl back out and about!

mmm.jpg

Also INcluded a link to my latest trip to the SPRINGS 4wd park in Warwick and Teewah beach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY_85OhN7iI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0at67NZoLU

SORRY FOR ALL THE SPAM UPDATE - Enjoy the pictures though.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby keiPHadventure » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Awesome build, mate! Really cool stuff happening here! How much is the boost in your Mu now?
keiPHadventure
Isuzu Baby

City: Quezon City
Vehicle: 2001 Isuzu Wizard 5-door

Postby topgun94 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:25 pm

So the work continues on the ol girl!
- Got the intercooler back from being tigged up
- Rotated the turbo to suit
- Mounted the intercooler (Bracket not shown but will upload photos)
- Mounted the Second alternator
- Almost finished fabricating the diff drop (32mm Weird number but that was the thickness of steel in the shed and looked about right!)
- Picked up a TD jackaroo hood scoop!
keiPHadventure - I am currently running 14PSI with fuel to match.
1.jpg
2.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Mad up / Installed the tred and chainsaw carrier. Came up a treat!
The Chain saw Is secured to the car using stainless steel wire and a padlock (blue Circle).
Then to secure the chainsaw in position a d-shackle was welded upside down making it easy to remove and take the chainsaw out! (Red circle)
If you also look hard on the front view you can see a small steel peg protruding. This is to keep the chainsaw in position aswel
When the treds are on you cannot see the chainsaw from the back!
10.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
22.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:46 am

So i reinstalled the engine - Fired her back up and a ticking noise was still coming from the old girl. Time to call in the cavalry! Decided that i drove 250+ ks with the noise on a 4wd trip and that 20ks into the local diesel shop would be fine. I got about 2kms down the road when the noise suddenly got ALOT worse, blowing huge clouds of black smoke, no power, and still ticking. ABORT MISSION AND RETURN TO BASE. As i turn around the engine suddenly stopped in her tracks and i had to call the brother to pull me home.
I almost stripped the ol girl down for parts as a donor for the DMAX but my better half (Bless her sould), the forbs boys and friends convinced me that it just wasnt the Mu's time yet.
I got it towed the the diesel shop for a full rebuild. With the symptoms he suspected that i had melted a piston and quoted 5K. For a remove, refit, rebuild, injector recondition and dyno. Bloody bargain.
When i saw my phone ring 2 days later my heart sank - could have only been bad news when the mechanic rings you.
- Pushrods bent
- Broken valves
- Camshaft snapped into 4 pieces
- Put a terminal grove in the block
- Crankshaft was missing a chunk close to piston number four.
BUGGER
He said that maybe the timing belt had suddenly jumped on me and caused all the damage. Timing belt was loose when they took the cover off (Only done 20k ago)
Now is it time to pull the pin? He told me for another $650 in parts to fix it.
It was getting bloody expensive now and i made the call that this was to much to spend on the MU and unless i could find an alternative option it was time to hang the keys up.

For some reason 4jb1t's are worth their weight in bloody gold. I could not find an engine under 250k for less then 3K plus shipping. And most of them didn't include injector pumps! (Considering i bought the car for $1400 thought this was not an option)
In the dying moments of the MU's days and at the end of my motivation i recieved a call from a wrecker. 2002 Australian delivered, gear driven (timing), Rodeo 4jb1t with all accessories included for 3K delivered to the workshop.
I had this motor installed and i mounted the intercooler up. I am now running 15 PSI boost through the old girl (Havent touch the fuel really at all yet) and she pulls like a teenager! Very happy that the missus told me to wake up, not be stupid and fix the mu.

Now the MU is back and reliable as ever i have got a few different plans for the old girl which i am pretty excited about.

Video of the mu's first weekend back. Few easy tracks as a bit of a shakedown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqAwRd06M1k

MU COVER.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby pencil » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Nice rig mate good to see such a neat version of what is a fairly rare rig in Aus nowadays.
Did it ever end up on 4wd action?
I might be wrong but I thought there was a shot of it in the mag at some point maybe in the background
pencil
Isuzu Baby

City: Sydney
Vehicle: 1998 Holden Rodeo 2.8 TD

Postby Cartaoro » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Nice Mu mate. You have a lot of fun whith it.
Cartaoro
Isuzu Baby

City: Agüimes
Vehicle: I have 2
Isuzu campo 2.5 4ja1-tc with 31x10,5 r15
Isuzu Trooper 3.0 4jx1

Postby topgun94 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:16 am

Lots happening on the Mighty MU again over the past few weeks.
I finally got around to rebuilding my roof rack and got a little excited when i got to the steel shop.
- The new roof rack is not as tall as the last one and my solar panel is no longer mounted by zip ties. I also wanted to create a bit of a 'cage' around the back of the car for stability / protection / be badass. I reckon it turned out fantastic. The whole roof rack can be unbolted if required. I plan on making a ladder on one side to make roof racks easier to access. Can finally fit in the garage again now!
CONTRUCTION.jpg

SIDE VIEW.jpg

TOP VIEW.jpg

I installed a Hydraulic handbrake
- This has been a long time in the making and i would like to think i have finally overcome the woes of the original hbrake. I had several brake cables made up but one or two 4wd trips and they were either stretched or seized. Here and Aus this is not legal but due to not requiring yearly roadworthys pretty easy to get away with. I used a EBAY drift style handbrake, mounted it onto the chassis and connected it to the existing cable that originally operated the cables. From the inside of the car you cant tell that its hydraulic as the stock handle is still in situ. But the stock handle / cable now activates a brake cylinder in line with the rear brakes. It was a bit of a bitch to bleed up but she holds like a trooper. I used a tramp spring to regain the 'feel' of the handbrake and help it retract the cable when releasing as it was jamming the cable in the cab. All the cables are mounted up next to the chassis and basically run with or inline with existing lines that i have never hit whilst 4wdriving. I have also flared up a BYPASS tube encase i to kink, bend or break one of the lines. In one of the flex pics i uploaded i was on one rear tyre and it still held!! I have now opened my eyes to a whole new world of 4wdriving with a handbrake!!
HYDRO BRAKE.jpg

BRAKE LINE.jpg

FLEX UP.jpg

Got out and about with the MU and had some fun.
- The Forbs 2015 BUSH TO BEACH BOOZE UP. This is a group of mates i wheel with that went from Landcruiser park in QLD to Teewah beach in one weekend avoiding as much of the blacktop as we could. Was one of the best weekends and the MU loved every minute. Upon leaving the 4wd park there was a suspicious noise coming from front driver. I tightened up the bearings on the side of the road which helped a little. Upon getting home and investigating turns out the bearing was absolutely obliterated.
FUCKED BEARING.jpg

I have link the video for the BUsh to BEach weekend and the MU destroying Camp road (Popular and wellknown 4wd track renowned around australia). I attempted camp road approx 3 years ago and it took me 30mins and a winch to get up. With the same mods this times but alot more experience i did it in under 3!

Enjoy the Pictures and Videos!
Camp Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSiCJNarMnY.

Bush to Beach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmEIfDBHyeI
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby MaoriUtility » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:58 am

I've seen a couple shots of your MU on instagram...looks good dude
MaoriUtility
Isuzu Baby

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1997 isuzu MU

Postby topgun94 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:53 am

Very excited. Got the call up for a 4wd action shoot. Going to be on the custom truck segment !
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby tertle » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Wow what a great read, well done you should be well proud of the Mu
tertle
Isuzu Junior

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Postby topgun94 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:12 am

The time comes in every good MU's life were you sit back and reminisce about the good, the bad and the reliable. The Mu has been a bloody good car with some great times out and about with the mate. AND THERES NO WAY THAT’S STOPPING NOW.

It’s time to coil SAS this bitch.

I have sourced a 1985 Toyota Bundera chassis that I plan to graft all the parts required from. I still need to source a 4.55 ratio crownwheel and pinion and a few other odds and ends. It will be a COIL SAS hopefully try to achieve some reasonable flex. The plans for the rear at this stage is go back to standard size shackles in the rear and SOA. Now that I’m SASING ide love to take the body lift out but the exhaust, intercooler, front bar, rear bar, sliders all have been , made to fit the body lift so its staying.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby MUVIT » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:03 pm

following
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

City: Darwin
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 96

Postby petey1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 pm

following too
petey1
Isuzu Baby

City: brisbane
Vehicle: MU

Postby topgun94 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 am

A very good morning from Australia. First, i would like to apologise for my absence but i have hardly driven my MU in the last 12 - 14 months due to it undergoing one of the biggest transformations. I had sassed my MU with great success using a bundera front end and keeping everything coil viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7354 . However, although the flex was good, a short wheel base, with narrow wheel track and 8 inches of lift was dam scary to drive on the tracks. While it was great, and really capable and it was until about 3 trips in that i had realised i had lost what i loved most about 4wdriving with an ISUZU mu. I had lost lifting a wheel, being different, being LEGAL, being the guy that everyone wrote off before they had to ask for a recovery. With all this in mind. Its time for MU2!!!
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 am

As stated above we are going back to IFS. First, I need a chassis!. Whilst i was able to find a chassis i also needed all front driveline and running gear. I managed to find myself a MU at Rockhampton for $500!! Initially i was going to fly up and drive it home, but the seller said it wouldn't make it back (obviosuly doesnt know isuzu reliability). So i grabbed a trailer for the lazy 16HR road trip to pick the ol girl up. When i got there, i was pleasantly surprised!! I loaded the MU up and headed southbound with my Bargain. When i got home i wasnt quite ready to pull it apart yet as i was prepping for a Cape York trip in my Dmax and the MU went on the Back burner.
I had a mate approach me who didn't have a car to take the to Cape but desperately wanted to go. It was this night, after a few too many Beers that the $500 Cape Challenge was born.

- $500 Car
- $500 Parts
- $500 Beers

The only budget we blew was the Beers Budget. It was by far the most fun i have had 4wdriving. Not only was it one of the most capable cars on the trip but by the time it reached the tip it was well known around the camp site and had its own following!! For those interested i have attached a link to Episode one of about 15 episodes that i am uploading of my cape trip. The Mu's trip came to a very abrupt end when doing jumps on the Beach at Cape Flattery :lol: But you will have to wait for that episode to see what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URFjEKHuyrI

Palm Creek in the Mighty MU
1. PALM CREEK.jpg

Isuzu Brothers at the Cape!! My Dmax and the $500 MU
2. CAPE YORK.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 am

After getting back from Cape York (and having the most amazing time) it was time to get STUCK IN!! Whilst watching the MU up north and many talks around the camp fire a plan for the New MU was born.

Campfire Plan
Lift - No lift, Stock height (and Remove Body Lift :roll: :roll: )
Tyres - 33" with neg 22 Offset Wheels
Steering - New Rebuilt steering Box
Differentials - 4.55 Front Locked (MIG LOCKED) and Rear LSD
Gearbox - Rebuilt Manual Box, New seals and bearings with 3:1 Reduction gears
Front - Modified Alloy bar and 12000lb winch
Rear - Rear bar modified for no body lift
Sliders - New slider idea - Welded onto sill.
Interior - Ipad install in dash, Race bucket seats and a Just Race PArts multi Gauge
Rear of Interior - Custom Drawer Setup - RHS frame and Marine PLy Drawers. Rear Stainless table.

But first. The teardown of the $500 Cape Challenge.
I looked high and low for a buyer of a Mu body but was unsuccessful. I sold a few of the panel parts and kept the important ones. I keep both Rear guards, both front guards and a rear tail gate. The rest got cut up with a SaberSaw and taken to the dump in multiple loads.

3. Teardown.jpg

4. Back off.jpg

5. Chassis.jpg

6. Chassis Prep.jpg

8. Wire Wheeled Aqua Kleened.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Members Rigs