• Advertisement

Reverse light and jack mount

No...changes to your body and chassis due to carnage does not count

Reverse light and jack mount

Postby mattmannz » Tue May 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Did a couple of mods to my Bighorn over the weekend, only just getting around to posting about it.

Installed an LED reverse light, mounted it to the covering over the number plate light which was pretty straight forward. Picked up the reverse light feed from the right rear corner lamp assembly and fed it through into the door and connected it up.

Picked up one of the high lift jack mounts off trademe, had to make a couple of mods to it to get it working how I wanted. Had to remove the factory nub that allows the wheel to easily sit whilst it's bolted on. Drilled a couple of 8mm holes in the area within the wheel centre on the mount and then bolted the jack mount to the factory spare wheel mount. One of the wheel bolts had a badly damaged thread so I ended up winding it halfway in to the damage and then cut the head off the bolt. This lower bolt now acts as the guide and holder once you get the wheel up onto the jack mount.

Think I will need a lock of some sort to stop the jack and/or wheel from being borrowed....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Re: Reverse light and jack mount

Postby geeves » Tue May 22, 2012 5:21 pm

3 bad things with that design. First you have to unbolt the jack to get the spare wheel. Second Buttom of jack can restrict departure angle. This can break the jack but more likely twist the mount all but destroying your door. I have seen mounts putting the jack sideways. ( I have dragged the spare wheel in the dirt before bending my door without anything attached) Third having the jack there all the time will see the jack rust and seize up but not until you really need it.
I carry my jack inside for the above reasons but do remember it is heavy and will be trying to kill you if you crash. Mine has 2 x 500kg straps around it and it cant get past the cargo barrier
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby daisy » Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Bet that light works great can't see anything reversing at night with the standard ones! Maybe move jack up a couple holes higher and keep it well lubed lanolin spray real good won't wash off and if you need your spare wheel you probably gona need jack too ;)
daisy
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Mu 3.1 auto

Postby mattmannz » Tue May 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The jack won't live on the back all the time, just when I head out wheeling. I looked at the jack covers but then they make it hard to mount outside. Can't mount inside as I need the rear seats down to have 3+ people in the truck when I head out.

These jacks are big and heavy and I struggled to find a good interior solution. Will definitely look at remounting it a bit further up.

The rear light is amazing. Really worth the money. Led lights are great.

Matt.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

Postby iananita » Wed May 23, 2012 9:40 am

I've been thinking the same about a reverse light postion. Does the light come on with reverse or have separate switch or both? I might try a small light bar.
Good job.
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby geeves » Wed May 23, 2012 3:30 pm

hilift.jpg

this is an 89 lwb bighorn. Still with back seats excuse the other mess
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mattmannz » Wed May 23, 2012 4:43 pm

I have just wired the led light directly into the reverse light circuit so it comes on all the time when reversing. The current draw is only about 3a so the factory circuit is fine.

That's a good mount Geeves. Like the cargo barrier. I checked mine and it intrudes into the passenger compartment just enough to be dangerous in my opinion.

Matt
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 pm

mine needs a cut tennis ball over the end to be safe but the wof man didnt care even with the ball off. Its not a fitting so not important. Still I knocked my head against it lightly to see if it was a problem. It is!
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Body and Chassis