• Advertisement

Body Lift

No...changes to your body and chassis due to carnage does not count

Body Lift

Postby NateDog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Just something that happened to me the other day out on a track. The steering column pulled apart at the sliding uni joint (located under the rubber boot in the engine bay). There must have been just enough pressure against the little wire snap ring in the uni joint housing holding the lower part of the shaft in the sliding section of the housing. I have done the 2 inch body lift and been driving all sorts of tracks for over a year now with out any problems....until yesterday!
There was no indication that it was on its way out....i just let go. I have now modified the steering colomn to allow for the extra body lift. Basically the shaft is now 30mm longer and sits in original position.
Has anyone modified their steering colomn after the body lift a different way?

Just something for people to look at when doing this body lift mod so they dont get caught out on a track like i did.
NateDog
Isuzu Baby

City: Queenstown
Vehicle: 91 Isuzu MU, 2.8TD, Front & Rear Lokka's, 9000Lb Winch (50 mtr winch line), Snorkel, 2in Body lift, 2in Suspension lift, 33in tyres with neg 44 x 15in rims, custom made Winch Bar, custom made rear draw, Endless Air compressor, custom high lift jack mount, custom sliders, custom rear bar, UHF, front IPF spotties, EGT + Boost gauge, Fuel tank lift, home made flare guards, heavy duty steering links.

Re: Body Lift

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:48 pm

There has been comments before about a need to lengthen it but I dont think anyone else has popped one. Glad you wernt doing any real speed at the time. ( the fact we can have this conversation after a total loss of steering is a good thing)
Tell us if you need help with the laundry bill.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby NateDog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:45 pm

haha no washing of the underwear needed as i was only crawling along...thankfully!! I spoke to my mechanic friend about it and he said this is why all body lifts should have a cert done. Anyway food for thought. Im just happy to be out and about in the truck again!!
NateDog
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 91 Isuzu MU, 2.8TD, Front & Rear Lokka's, 9000Lb Winch (50 mtr winch line), Snorkel, 2in Body lift, 2in Suspension lift, 33in tyres with neg 44 x 15in rims, custom made Winch Bar, custom made rear draw, Endless Air compressor, custom high lift jack mount, custom sliders, custom rear bar, UHF, front IPF spotties, EGT + Boost gauge, Fuel tank lift, home made flare guards, heavy duty steering links.

Postby ThomasT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

i'm useless at doing mods, but how did you extend the steering shaft as i am about to do the same lift to fit 33"s on my mu.
ThomasT
Isuzu Baby

City: perth
Vehicle: 1991 izusu MU

Postby NateDog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 pm

I bought a secondhand steering column assembly due to loosing a few bits from the sliding uni joint when mine broke. i then cut a length out of the spare shaft 30mm long. Then i cut my original shaft (in the same area as the donor shaft so all the diameters were the same) and had a qualified welder weld it back together with the extra 30mm piece in it all straight and looking factory. Steers like new again and the sliding uni is back in its original factory position. I feel 100% confident with it.
FYI just retention your body lift bolts after your first trip, they tend to settle a bit. Its good practice to run a spanner over most bolts once in a while anyway.
Cheers
NateDog
Isuzu Baby

Postby ThomasT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:22 pm

thanks heaps... very helpful tips and hints :) what tires do you run?
ThomasT
Isuzu Baby

City: perth
Vehicle: 1991 izusu MU

Postby NateDog » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:33 pm

33inch maxxis mudzilla's on 15inch rims with negative 44 offset.
NateDog
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Another way to lengthen the shaft is to cut shaft and get a thick walled piece of pipe slide old shaft inside the pipe adjust to correct length and weld up
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:55 pm

welding steering components is a huge no no. If your wof mechanic sees it he will pink sticker your car and a certifier will have to put it back on the road. If it breaks on the road you are really in the high jump.
For steering components a certified welder is not enough.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:04 pm

if done well no one would ever know and if done corrrectly it is stronger than factory thats why i use pipe on outside, have used same method for trackrods that bend, know of one truck in taupo thats had 15 vtnz wofs with modified track rod, but if you dont no what you are doing dont try it
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby muzila » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:55 pm

There is a steering shaft extention made that is in a three inch lift kit. Not sure where they are available out side usa though. But it is the only legal way to lenghthen a steering shaft.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby jellis » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:28 am

has any one got any pics of there mod's / fixes to there steering shaft?
mine seems to have pulled out from the firewall about an inch.
and im now starting to freak out about it.
have a few big drives to do over the next 3 weeks
4000'Ks plus
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Make a spacer similar to the one behind the fan pulley and put between the flanges at the steering box end of the shaft with longer bolts
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:26 pm

it slides on the shaft on the steering box with a locking bolt and has the slide up futhur no where to put a spacer, if you have early model bighorn 88, they dont have the slide and cant fit a spacer with longer bolts, that may fit a mu??
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby 98Rodeo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 am

Independent4x.com sells the steering shft extension by itself
they sell all sorts of goodies for isuzus aswell like the hd steering components

they are in america though
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby NateDog » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

I just looked at the independent4x steering extension photo and it looks like you still have to weld it onto the original steering shaft. For the money welding in my 30mm rod extension is still achieving the same goal but for a lot less money. Don't get me wrong though.....if i was running massive tyres their uni's would stand up to greater forces than the OEM uni. Cheers for the link though, they have some good gear on their website.
NateDog
Isuzu Baby

Return to Body and Chassis