• Advertisement

Dual battery setup

No...changes to your body and chassis due to carnage does not count

Dual battery setup

Postby mattmannz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Starting on my dual battery setup in anticipation of installing a winch.

The few pics I could find of the factory dual battery setup showed it running over the inner guard however my snorkel setup and catch can would have blocked that.

Whichever way I went I would have to make a tray to suit so I ended up mounting it parallel to the firewall as that cleared everything the best and allowed me to fit the biggest possible battery. Made the tray out of 1.5mm with a base and legs out of 3mm that run back to four factory captive nuts in the guard.

Have been doing quite a bit of research on battery controllers - tempted to start with a simple physical switch and then do some more research on controllers. Anyone here running dual batteries?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Re: Dual battery setup

Postby isuzurob » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:22 pm

looks good, i ran dual batteries on my buick v6 surf with a pysical switch had 1, 2 or both, ran both when winching and had a switch to up voltage in charging system to 17 volts, i ran dual optima red batteries, my bighorn i run 1 yellow top optima and is fine battery never gone flat been in there 5 years
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Re: Dual battery setup

Postby HarryVL » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm running 2 batteries and 2 altenators.The bottom altenator always dies in the 1st deep mud hole.The 2nd battery is under the passenger seat.Both seats have been raised 50 mm.My winch solenoid pack is where you have your 2nd battery.I've fitted a switch connect both batteries together when required.Harry.
HarryVL
Isuzu Baby

City: TIRAU
Vehicle: 1995 Bighorn road truck.1989 Bighorn bush truck

Return to Body and Chassis