• Advertisement

Winch bar build

No...changes to your body and chassis due to carnage does not count

Winch bar build

Postby mattmannz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Just finished building a winch mount and front bar setup.

A lot more work than I originally thought. Used 6mm plate, folded it where possible for extra strength. Uses the body mount and the two captive nuts on the front of the chassis cross member so has 2xM12 and 2xM10 bolts on each side. Lots of bracing in it.

I recessed the bonnet latch support strut so that I could get everything sitting as far back as possible. Cut the inner guards to match the profile of the tube sides.

Got a Runva 12000lb winch with dyneema rope. Remote mounted the solenoid in the engine bay and fitted dual batteries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Re: Winch bar build

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:57 pm

looks good and sitting that high keeps it out of the way pretty well but theres a lot of leverage on those mounts.
Its often a toss up between strength and clearance. I wish my TJM was a bit higher. It did a lot of ploughing on Sutherlands
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:22 pm

you have done a good job of that bar, always takes longer than you think it will, i also used the 2 bolts on the front undertray on the front cross member to help with the twisting down when winching
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby mattmannz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:04 pm

My winch is raised about 100mm above the mounts.

On the underneath of the chassis I have a captive but on each side but it has a square surround around it that makes it hard to use so I haven't. Yet.

Each side has two 6mm out riggers that come together at the winch tray and are plug welded together. They are braced together and folded to get the desired shape.

I know my bar won't break. I hope the mounts take it.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Postby FaceBalls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Hey Mattman, how did it hold up 4 years on? I'm looking at doing something similar.
FaceBalls
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu

Return to Body and Chassis