• Advertisement

URGENT INFO PLEASE

No...changes to your body and chassis due to carnage does not count

URGENT INFO PLEASE

Postby papbighorn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Novice to 4x4 but i have a bighorn and recently got my hands on a lovely set of hilux bullbars for $60 so thought why not they look ok and dont obstruct anything. My question is would i get away with cutting back the bracket on the existing bullbar and weilding it to the chasis at the mount points ? :oops: :o :roll:

cant add photos for god knows why or id show you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
papbighorn
Isuzu Baby

City: Papamoa
Vehicle: 1994 isuzu bighorn (unmolested)

Re: URGENT INFO PLEASE

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:41 pm

if you weld to the chassis you have to get it certified to be legal on nz roads, just make new mounts bolt them to the side of the chassis where the bumper mounts and weld the bullbar to your new mounts
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby papbighorn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:45 pm

papbighorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby papbighorn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:48 pm

isuzurob wrote:if you weld to the chassis you have to get it certified to be legal on nz roads, just make new mounts bolt them to the side of the chassis where the bumper mounts and weld the bullbar to your new mounts

Hi rob thanks for that and the answer i wasnt aware id have to cert it like that, so bolt on etc is ok?
papbighorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:45 pm

You may even find the hilux one pretty much bolts straight on with little or no fuss.
Best course of action is take the current nudge bar off get a couple of mates to hold the hilux bar in place while you look to see what you need to make up. It shouldnt take too much to make some adapters out of 8mm steel or the ones on the current nudge may work.
If the bar is intended to take a winch or recovery points though its best to go to a competent engineer who knows 4wds. If you have the hook that breaks off you get to do the first aid. About 2 people a year die in NZ due to recovery hook failures.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby papbighorn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:17 pm

geeves wrote:You may even find the hilux one pretty much bolts straight on with little or no fuss.
Best course of action is take the current nudge bar off get a couple of mates to hold the hilux bar in place while you look to see what you need to make up. It shouldnt take too much to make some adapters out of 8mm steel or the ones on the current nudge may work.
If the bar is intended to take a winch or recovery points though its best to go to a competent engineer who knows 4wds. If you have the hook that breaks off you get to do the first aid. About 2 people a year die in NZ due to recovery hook failures.

yeah stupid hook on the drivers side if i had a strope i could just about pinch the bottom mounts to make it fit after drilling holes on the existing plate on the hilux ones there out about a inch each side. other then that i might have to look at a template with a 90 degree twist on it Refer to pictures here http://s898.photobucket.com/user/neobomb1/library/isuzu

or cutting the existing holes off the bullbars and leaving that 90 degree turn then drilling new holes closer to the bend to fit the existing chasis holes ?
papbighorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:22 pm

The pics dont really show how the current nudge bar is attached but Im guessing its the same as the nudge bar on my wizard. This has 4 light bolts underneath attached to brackets bolted to the front body mounts. This type of fixing is only really for show.
You havnt included any pics of the hilux bull bar If it is a full bumper replacement ARB type you got it at a very good price. These normally bolt to the same mounts as the current bumper which is the strongest way and very likely the easiest to make fit. This is 2 12mm grade 8.8 bolts on each side. My 94 bighorn was like this when I bought it but the mounts had an extra hole each side for another 12mm bolt into the same place as the nudge bar. As I now have the winch and had the mounts modified to take rated tow hooks I have also bolted through this 3rd hole. My bar isnt coming off and thanks to Howat engineering neither are the tow hooks
I wouldnt be surprised if the hilux mounts directly to the bumper mounts without mods
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6363&p=40509&hilit=bighorn+is+dead#p40509
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby papbighorn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:51 pm

geeves wrote:The pics dont really show how the current nudge bar is attached but Im guessing its the same as the nudge bar on my wizard. This has 4 light bolts underneath attached to brackets bolted to the front body mounts. This type of fixing is only really for show.
You havnt included any pics of the hilux bull bar If it is a full bumper replacement ARB type you got it at a very good price. These normally bolt to the same mounts as the current bumper which is the strongest way and very likely the easiest to make fit. This is 2 12mm grade 8.8 bolts on each side. My 94 bighorn was like this when I bought it but the mounts had an extra hole each side for another 12mm bolt into the same place as the nudge bar. As I now have the winch and had the mounts modified to take rated tow hooks I have also bolted through this 3rd hole. My bar isnt coming off and thanks to Howat engineering neither are the tow hooks
I wouldnt be surprised if the hilux mounts directly to the bumper mounts without mods
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6363&p=40509&hilit=bighorn+is+dead#p40509

there is no current nudge bar im just going off what holes i can see and there the ones that the hook is in on drivers side and mirrored empty holes on the passengerside the picture of the bullbars on there just sitting there for placement
papbighorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 pm

So those pictures were not of the current bar on the truck but instead the bar you want to fit held in place by good luck and little else?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 pm

this is how a similar bar is fitted to my wizard
nudgebar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby papbighorn » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:34 am

geeves wrote:So those pictures were not of the current bar on the truck but instead the bar you want to fit held in place by good luck and little else?

correct its just sitting there so i could see mounting points
papbighorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby papbighorn » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am

geeves wrote:this is how a similar bar is fitted to my wizard
nudgebar.jpg

yeah i think mine has a smash panel there covering that?

uploaded a few more pictures of that area i clearly have a smash panel there but the bullbar mount points line up with existing holes ( recovery Hook) area

NEW PICTURES

http://s898.photobucket.com/user/neobomb1/library/isuzu
papbighorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Is it possible to cut the horixontal part of the mount off the bar and redrill the vertical part? That will make fabricating an adapter much easier
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Body and Chassis