• Advertisement

Winch bar for 1st gen bighorn

No...changes to your body and chassis due to carnage does not count

Winch bar for 1st gen bighorn

Postby SACKEDPanda » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi there

I'm after a winch bar for my 89 bighorn. I can get a mcc bar for cheap so was wondering what would be the easiest to modify to get it to fit. Trying to get away with not doing too much work as I don't have that much spare time.

Cheers
SACKEDPanda
I'm only here for the information

City: ohakune
Vehicle: ranger, big horn, navara

Re: Winch bar for 1st gen bighorn

Postby isuzurob » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Nothing fits without alot of cutting and welding, terrano is about the closest but mounts different and have to cut side wings, im half way through making a arb copy for my mk1 bighorn, has taking 1 day so far, its all tacked together
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:20 pm

I thought Hilux was pretty close as well.
It needs to mount on the current 2 bumper mounting nuts for the winch but if you are including recovery hooks you will need to get a third bolt into the chassis as well. On my old bighorn we drilled an extra hole in the C section and tack welded a nut on the inside to bolt to

Not the best pic but might help
winch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:43 pm

will try get pics of my bar, also arb landrover defender series 1 are close but still need mounts made etc
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby tertle » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:51 pm

isuzurob wrote:Nothing fits without alot of cutting and welding, terrano is about the closest but mounts different and have to cut side wings, im half way through making a arb copy for my mk1 bighorn, has taking 1 day so far, its all tacked together

I really need to learn how to this as I'm wondering if making a winch bar or a similar arb copy is something I should do as well, really keen to see some images
tertle
Isuzu Junior

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:46 pm

its not to bad to make if you know what your doing and have the tools, ive made a few pipe winch bars and the arb copy is lot more work, will try load some photos, hope you dont copy to much, took ages to come up with the design
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby tertle » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:49 pm

isuzurob wrote:its not to bad to make if you know what your doing and have the tools, ive made a few pipe winch bars and the arb copy is lot more work, will try load some photos, hope you dont copy to much, took ages to come up with the design

Well as I have no idea what I'm doing at the best of time you can rest assured my attempt without any training or knowledge on how to make bendy metal or glue them all together, mine will be quiet different, unique even ;)
tertle
Isuzu Junior

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 am

A winch falling off in use isnt as bad as a tow hook but could still kill. A winch falling off on a motorway will probably kill.
Without decent welding and engineering skills I would give this one to the experts
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:07 pm

Check my post for pictures of the bar, hope it helps
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Return to Body and Chassis