• Advertisement

Fuel tank level and gauge reading

For faults and questions about your body and chassis

Fuel tank level and gauge reading

Postby dani4jb1t » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:49 am

HI

I used to fill the fuel tank up to the filler hose. Gauge reading was above the "full" line and I used to drive about 100 kms before finally reaching the full mark on the gauge. What I'm experiencing now is when I go to fill the tank (83 liters) the filler gun stops, so then I keep on going a few cc's more until reaching almost the filler pipe, but the reading on the gauge shows the fuel tank is "almost full"...I mean a little bit lower than the full mark.

What could be happening? ...a ground problem at the level indicator, a fault at the gauge, fault at the level indicator by itself, or perhaps the tank breather is clogged somewhere???
dani4jb1t
Isuzu Junior

City: Antofagasta
Vehicle: '93 TFS55, Solid front axle, Dual fuel tank, On board air system, Teralow 3:1, 235/85/R16

Re: Fuel tank level and gauge reading

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Useing the famous kiss principle I would say this is your correct full mark on the gauge and doesnt need fixing.
Using the lets keep complicating things princible the first question should be Did this start when you fitted the Mu tank? Are you using the Mu or Rodeo sender? They might not give the same readings. Either change to Rodeo sender or refer to Kiss and put a mark on the guage where full really is
Other possibilities
Sender Guage Voltage regulator for guages Dirty contacts anywhere
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Fuel tank level and gauge reading

Postby dani4jb1t » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 pm

No, it just suddenly happened

In 2004 when I took off the petrol engine to install the 4J, I also swapped the complete electric wiring -including the gauge meter of course- and the system worked fine with the small 53 liters fuel tank since then.

Now, the MU fuel tank belonged to the same UCS from where I got all the components and it was installed just a year and a half ago onto my ute. Readings were normal as when everything was originally bolted to the MUs frame. So, this little issue started to happen about 5 months ago more or less.... I`m thinking the vent line could be restricted by some dirt, and it makes the fuel to bottom down slower than before due to the air back pressure that takes a longer time to be evacuated from inside the tank when top level is almost reaching.

I was wondering if somebody else have had the same issue. Next time I`m gonna fill it up, take it for a short ride around and then try to refill it again. If no fuel is able to get in, then it should be an electric trouble.

....Yes, the easy way is to get used to the new "full mark"
dani4jb1t
Isuzu Junior

City: Antofagasta
Vehicle: '93 TFS55, Solid front axle, Dual fuel tank, On board air system, Teralow 3:1, 235/85/R16

Return to Body and Chassis