• Advertisement

chassis cross-member fail WOF

For faults and questions about your body and chassis

chassis cross-member fail WOF

Postby electrifying » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi,

How badly bent can a chassis x-member be to fail a WOF?

chassis x-member 1b.jpg

chassis x-member 2b.jpg

I have already straightened it out as much as i can with a rope and winch :D
Any recommendations?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bighorn = fun
If you see a bighorn, and the exhaust smells of BBQ or fish & chips, it's probably me
Nick
electrifying
Isuzu Junior

City: Palmerston North
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn, 2.8TD with inter-cooler. 4JB1T. 1991. Runs on vege oil. has two alternators. Now has a diff air locker, and snorkel.

Re: chassis cross-member fail WOF

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 pm

That might need a transplant I think. Doesnt it also support the ends of the front springs. I already see a small split
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:34 pm

That is a fail, chassis isnt meant to be bent twisted or damaged in any way, as i said from our talk all of mine are alot stronger as the driveshaft hanger bolts to that part, yours is the first ubs55 ive ever seen with a 1 piece driveshaft
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:00 pm

Its a swb?
My swb ubs69 is one piece
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:15 pm

his picture is of a ubs55 which is lwb
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 pm

isnt there a 3 door version of ubs55? That xmember hangs quite low
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby electrifying » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:59 pm

It is the UBS55 LWB model.

Hey Rob, i was thinking that perhaps the cross member on your bighorn is different because the manual gearbox is shorter, therefore needs some sort of support in the middle?
whereas my one has an auto box, possibly a longer gearbox so has this type of support. :?:

Thinking i should look up the manual for this vehicle to see how many models of x-members isuzu produced.
bighorn = fun
If you see a bighorn, and the exhaust smells of BBQ or fish & chips, it's probably me
Nick
electrifying
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn, 2.8TD with inter-cooler. 4JB1T. 1991. Runs on vege oil. has two alternators. Now has a diff air locker, and snorkel.

Postby electrifying » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:23 pm

Also had a talk to a certifier, and yes i do have to replace this, but i could do it myself as long as the welding is good enough. (but i will probably get him to do the welding)

oh yeah it does have a small split.. :?

Still waiting to hear from the guy from Masterton to see if he has a parts vehicle... I have been to the main wreckers here and no body seems to have these old vehicles any more.
bighorn = fun
Nick
electrifying
Isuzu Junior

Postby isuzurob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 pm

oh ok then as i said auto are rare, time to do a manual conversion, i have a swb bighorn a two mus, will have a look under them and see what the supports look like, they may still fit
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Have a closer look at it. Its a fairly simple shape A panel beater should be able to fabricate it and at the same time make it lower profile and heavier steel.
Could also be worth enquiring at the local holden dealer You need to take your chassis no. A lot of odd parts are very cheap new.
Once its fixed dont hit it with a sledge hammer
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Body and Chassis