• Advertisement

4jb1t light smoking problem

All Club management, news and development discussion

4jb1t light smoking problem

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi
Have just had to replace my engine in my 1988 bighorn after fram oil filter seal let me down causing terminal engine damage (not happy about it but fram say oil filter not to blame) luckily i had a 1987 4jb1t in my spare parts truck this engine has done around 320000km
engine is running and starting really well plenty of power Ive been experiencing some amounts off blue smoke if i rev the engine and after pulling away from idle ive a just about except-able oil back pressure and venting of fumes from the rocker cover and dip stick shaft only when engine is at full running temp
could this be the rings or possibly the turbo or valve seals
as i am new to this forum any reliable info on how i can diagnose this problem would be greatly appreciated
thanks steve
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Re: 4jb1t light smoking problem

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Am using a ryco oil filter and ac delo 400 heavy duty diesil oil if this info helps
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:26 pm

That oil is a bit good for this engine. I used it for a while but it caused oil leaks. Changing back to a mineral base oil fixed the leaks
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks Geeves will give it a go any particular oil you would recommend ?

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Im useing Valvolene Diesel Extra but there are plenty of good oils out there. Its just not wise to mix old engines and synthetic oils.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby dasnoboarder » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Agree with Valvolene, thats what I usually use and have had the best results with.
Other oils I've tried have caused small oil leaks.

(However, my truck will always leak if the level on the dip stick is over half way between low and high)
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby steveNZ » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks all
took truck on a good 200km run with some good long hills today seems to have cleaned up a lot and venting in rocker seems to have reduced to much better level
so feeling a little more confidant with engine
will change to a better oil some time this week
keep up the good work ppl
regards
steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Dont get us wrong there is nothing wrong with the oil you have. Useing it once will do no harm. Dont change till its due for a change.
The problem with synthetics can take a few changes to show up. The oil dissolves all the deposits that build up in an engine over time exposing seals etc that are close to end of life so they can leak. Even if they do leak a stop leak magic bottle will slow them down and changing back to mineral oil will stop completely.
One thing a synthetic has got going for it is its low viscosity at very low temperatures. You would be getting these in Garston for the next month or so
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Your right about the temperature down here snow line currently 100m up the hill, pot belly burning 24/7 at the moment, might take a trip up the Nevis tomorrow if weather clears a bit

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:34 pm

As I was saying that I was trying to locate the place exactly. Im glad I didnt say Central Otago as Northern Southland is more correct. My sister has a batch at Kingston
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:13 am

Small world as it was the mechanic at Kingston let me use his workshop and a little help with engine change, would have been lost without him as i didn't have the cash to pay someone else to do the work so if your down this way and need anything doing hes the man (john) will put as much work his way as i can

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Return to Control Room