• Advertisement

Open letter to my fellow off roaders

Getting to know one another, and general Chit chat about anything and everything

Open letter to my fellow off roaders

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:58 pm

An open letter to my friends.

It is important for us men to remember that, as our women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping and vigor around the place as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some women are oversensitive, and there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

My name is Jerry and let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Mary. When I retired a few years ago, it became necessary for Mary to get a full-time job for a few years along with her part-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. There is nothing better than a working Watch, a working Car/Pickup and a working Wife !! Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age because I was usually get home from driving my zu up in the mountains about the same time she was getting home from work and she was having a heck of a time getting from the car to the house with all of those big bags of grocery's.

Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me up when she gets around to getting dinner on the table. I generally have lunch with the boys and a few whips at a bar along the road to the 4x4 trails so eating out a lot is not unreasonable for me. But man-o-man I'm usually ready for some good old home-cooked grub when I hit that door after a long day playing with the others from club Isuzu. She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner before she finally gets up and takes care of her chores.

I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening while sitting in my big overstuffed leather chair while watching TV that they “won't clean themselves !!!”. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.

Another symptom of aging is all of that complaining. WOW,.... I think, for example she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour at work. But you fellows know that we need to take em for better or worse from the onset, so I just smile and offer her encouragements. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days if need be. That way she won't have to rush so much and get tired. I also remind her that missing lunch completely ever now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think that tact is one of my stronger points.

When doing even the simplest of jobs, she seems to think she needs to take more rest periods. She had to take a half hour break yesterday when she was only half-finished mowing the yards with that push mower that I spent good money getting sharpened. I try not to make a scene. I'm really a fair man. I tell her to stop and fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just have a sit for a while.... And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support my Lovely wife I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy on me..... Many lesser men will even find it most difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older.. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and a little less criticism of your aging wife because of what you just learned in this personal letter to you, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other.

Thoughtfully Jerry
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: Open letter to my fellow off roaders

Postby geeves » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 pm

I think youve done ok especially putting off your retirement as long as you have.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Open letter to my fellow off roaders

Postby dani4jb1t » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:45 am

This is a nice writing ....Cheers!
Just to add some pennies on it...I've seen my grandma aging shocking fast while spending hours of her day sitting in front a TV screen, not taking daily life activities anymore, not even a simple walk around the house. Our brain, our body needs activity, exercises. We got stuck and sick when we stop doing them. Grandma nowadays has Alzheimer and she barely remembers me.
Currently my mom is following a similar path, watching several Turkish soap operas at once, forgetting words in regular conversations, not reading a single book anymore, not going walk outside anymore, not meeting her friends anymore ....Aging should be a step of higher wisdom, perhaps a less physical skills stage, yet not necessary the way round.

Hats off for all of you who still care of your wife....
dani4jb1t
Isuzu Junior

City: Antofagasta
Vehicle: '93 TFS55, Solid front axle, Dual fuel tank, On board air system, Teralow 3:1, 235/85/R16

Return to The Bar