• Advertisement

Hi, newbie here

Getting to know one another, and general Chit chat about anything and everything

Hi, newbie here

Postby tertle » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi team,

let me introduce myself, im somewhat rather new to this 4x4 world but have been harassing a very patient bloke about all things 4x4 for a while, thanks Mike too!

Ive gone from looking at land rovers (much to mikes consternation!!) to now seeing the light, and am a mechanics report away from owning an Isuzu bighorn, In fact if anyone can help by recommending a good mechanic in Dunedin I would be ever so thankful! as the truck is in Dunedin and im in CHCH!!!

Ive looked at the odd 4JB1 but have settled on a wee 3.1 '94 bighorn 4JG2.

Images to follow I hope ;)

Cheers

Tertle
tertle
Isuzu Junior

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Re: Hi, newbie here

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi
There are a few Dunedin members Maybe one of them could help but even AA is better than nothing.
SWB or long?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby tertle » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Well she is Booked it into a diesel mechanics who will look at it tomorrow morning, Ive negotiated a price subject to an ok from the mechanic, its a SWB, its got 33" muds, think its got a 50mm lift kit, snorkel and roof basket, Diff Breathers, Recovery Hook Front and Rear, high tensile bolts, MP3/DVD System and even a 12V compressor in Boot.

Im not trying to get excited but imagine a fat kid in a candy store who hasn't had his Ritalin for a while........pretty much where I am at at the moment!!!!
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:57 pm

The hooks wont get judged by the mechanic but if you are serious about 4wding (with a car like this I hope it is the case) do get them checked out by a local 4wd club safety officer. The factory hooks only had 10mm bolts and are not a great design. Even proper rated hooks are deadly if fitted badly.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby tertle » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:01 pm

owww trust me, that's the next port of call, im just making sure that the bones are there first and then we can add some good extras! but im very much looking to the 4wd club aspect and getting to properly learning how to approach 4wd driving. as well as good advice from the team here :) I am the newbie :)
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Postby turnturn » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Which mechanic have you sent it too?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby tertle » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:57 am

Well, the mechanic drove it for 10 mins, looked at it for a few more and rung me, he wasn't even going to charge me....DONT BUY!!!!!

Really regretting selling my car yesterday! lol :) but owell have a bit of cash and have borrowed my partners spare car she doesn't use!

So.....back onto trade me and keeping my eye out!!! if anyone sees a good one please let me know! BUT I will get there :)
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:52 pm

When I bought my Wizard I looked at over 20 before buying over the course of 6 months. The test drive and inspection on the one I bought was done at night in the rain (New World Thorndon has a nice Underground carpark where the actual inspecting was done)When I bought the current Bighorn I was looking for 2 years and only got to test drive one. Happy enough with that one to not even negotiate price
My first bighorn was an impulse buy but I only kept it 19 years
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby tertle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:13 pm

yeah think it was good experience to get the "NEED" out of the system and remember to not rush into things......plenty of time and im saving for things I will need or increasing my purchasing power :)
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Return to The Bar