• Advertisement

lsd rear, brisbane

Only for Isuzu Vehicles and Parts in Australia

lsd rear, brisbane

Postby nut161 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 pm

bought a suspected lsd rear drum diff a while ago that i havent installed. turns both wheels by hand which my diff does not with no pressure, so should be an lsd. have been bitten by the 4wd bug pretty bad atm and going straight to a rear lokka so no need for the lsd.
$200 ono in brisbane.

cheers,
danny
nut161
Isuzu Junior

City: brisbane
Vehicle: Tc gemini coupe, g200 draw thru turbo
91 2.8td manual mu, rear lokka, soa, traction rod, wound up front, 31 muddies

Re: lsd rear, brisbane

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:14 pm

You might want to have a closer look at that and make sure that if a second person holds one side that you can actually turn the other side. It might be you already have a loka
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby dubdubdub » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:50 am

On the topic Geeves, whats your opinion on the loka?? looking at getting but not to sure if I go for the front first or rear first... taking into consideration i currently have open diff front and rear... front first then rear or don't bother all together?
dubdubdub
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn LWB 3.1 turbo diesel, 31'' Achilles Desert Hawks Muds

Postby geeves » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:48 pm

recently I had a rear airlocker and front auto locker sitting in my garage. The rear is now in my bighorn and I was going to fit the front but got talked out of it. It has since been sold to another clubisuzu member. It depends a lot on the type of terrain you drive on. If its sufficiently slippery the auto locker wont unlock allowing steering. We deal with a lot of wet clay that makes ice seem like a grippy surface.
Auto on the back sufers the same but to a lesser extent. Manual lockers are the best way to go but cost heaps
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:47 pm

put a looka in the front and a good lsd in the back for a start, i have lokkas front and rear in one truck, lokka front and lsd in my rodeo and lokka front open rear in another
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby topgun94 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Lokka front and lsd rear is a great combo.
Pros and cons to both front or rear first.
I would probly lean towards rear first to keep full functionality of the steering if you have neither.
BUT
If you are planning on a rear lsd in the future. Go front now.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby dubdubdub » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:58 am

Cheers guys, any info helps allot... i quite like the idea of having lsd in the rear to a least allow some slippage but then again also was told if i'm going lsd may as well just go for a loka as its only 150 more or so as lsd will still spin 1 wheel if really in the shit... Geeves so if i was to go front and real loka's and was in some slippery mud/clay it would be a pig to turn tight bends??? i understand why it would be harder to turn on hard serfaces... but on hard surfaces the loka will (should) unlock and slip but on clay if its too slippery and cant unlock wouldn't it just drag the wheel and still allow you to turn? basically my off roading consists of mainly sand/mud... ie woodhill and port waikato etc... isuzurob what do you use your truck with the front and rear loka for?? also how does this go for you?? and out of the 3 trucks you have, off road capabilities whats the best?
dubdubdub
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn LWB 3.1 turbo diesel, 31'' Achilles Desert Hawks Muds

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:57 pm

In princible the Loka and other auto lockers should be called auto unlockers. There is black magic involved but basically the wheel traveling at the lowest speed gets drive and the other wheel can be allowed to travel faster if there is enough traction to overcome a spring pawl inside the diff. On hard surfaces you hardly notice that its not a normal diff so steering etc not affected. On very slippery surfaces there is not enough traction for one wheel to overrun the pawl so the diff stays locked and steering suffers. Its even worse if its the front diff. Even LSD will suffer this to some extent. Some people love front auto lockers some cant wait to get rid of them. Rear is less of an issue but still a manual locker allows you to chose when to be locked.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:17 pm

my twin lokka truck is on here in the build threads, it was my daily driver and club 4x4 truck, lokka doesnt have nice road manners in the rear but i got use to it, lokka front and rear is the best by far, lokka in the front doesnt make the steering heavy when 4x4ing in mud/clay etc, bit heavy on gravel and tarseal but managable, my rodeo is my new road truck and had a lsd already so just put a lokka in the front, lokka in the front is the best option as theres no flex in the ifs setup
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Return to Australia - Sell your 4x4 or parts here