• Advertisement

Isuzu 4FB1-T ....Need Help

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Isuzu 4FB1-T ....Need Help

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:42 pm

I use a Isuzu 1.8L Turbo diesel in my car. The problems that I am facing are the following.

Excessive black smoke while driving (all speeds)
Low pick up
Engine temp always high with AC

I have done the following work on my engine
Replaced rings with a new bore, Valve and valve guides. Have done the proper run in for 8000 km, changed the nozzle and delivery valve and had the pump & injectors calibrated. My turbo oils seals are not good and I have oil traces on the intake manifold after those runs exceeding 90 kmph. I have tried reducing the diesel flow, played around with the pump timing. None of the mechanics were able to suggest or rectify, they just cud say, Isuzu has excess smoke. I would request members to suggest to me a step by step approach which I can & will do. I do not wish to give up on this till I rectify. I can remove the turbo as a first if needs to be done.
Sandy
I'm only here for the information

City: Bangalore
Vehicle: Diesel

Re: Isuzu 4FB1-T ....Need Help

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Try these guys out as well
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/
What car is the engine in?
Does the smoke smell of oil or diesel? If oil look at the turbo If diesel there must be a problem with the pump injectors or timing. If you had the cam belt off did it go on correctly timed.
Running hot could be timing or a bad turbo but could also be a blocked or worn out radiator. Also if the car did not have this engine originally the radiator might be too small or the pipes might be kinked
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 pm

What car is the engine in? - It is the Indian version of Vauxhall Victor
Does the smoke smell of oil or diesel? If oil look at the turbo If diesel there must be a problem with the pump injectors or timing. If you had the cam belt off did it go on correctly timed. Cam belt has been put back correctly
Running hot could be timing or a bad turbo but could also be a blocked or worn out radiator. Also if the car did not have this engine originally the radiator might be too small or the pipes might be kinked - Radiator has been replaced to a bigger one

Can I run without the turbo, yes it has worn out oil seals and there is a small amount of oil present in the turbo output, I have noticed it whn inspection has been done after high speed runs, excess of 80 to 90 kmph
Sandy
I'm only here for the information

City: Bangalore
Vehicle: Diesel

Postby wbski007 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 pm

running with a bad turbo causes black smoke and no power, so that's your problem, fix the turbo and you should be OK
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby Captcol » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:39 am

I would agree, I drove a nissan with similar symptoms, turned out to be a turbo
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby Poida » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:18 pm

That 4FB1-T engine could be run as a non turbo setup but that would require a change to a N/A injection pump with the set of injectors that match that particular pump. (Always change pumps and injectors as a set) Assuming the problem is with your turbocharger and/or injection system, your problem would be solved but, with a marginal loss of power. How much (in kilograms) does the car it is in weigh?
Most blokes have a garage or shed for their "hobby", I've got a factory! ;)
Poida
Isuzu Baby

City: Albury
Vehicle: 1980 diesel TE Gemini (4FB1)
1979 KBD41 Rodeo (C190) <-- contemplating swap with a 4FD1 or 4FC1-T engine

An assortment of Gemini, Rodeo, Jackaroo vehicles powered by LPG, petrol and diesel engines.

Got lots of Isuzu stuff... G161Z, G180Z, G200Z, 4ZD1, 4ZE1, C190, 4FB1, 4FC1 & 4FD1 engines.

Return to Engine