• Advertisement

Clarification of Interchangeable Parts for 1990MU

For all suspension modifications

Clarification of Interchangeable Parts for 1990MU

Postby Plebz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi guys/girls,

Currently in the process of 'attempting' to fit some lifted leaf springs that I got from my local 4x4 shop for my 1990 isuzu MU and would like a definitive answer as to what year and model rodeo springs are interchangeable with the 1990 MU?

They supplied springs are about 4cm shorter eye to eye than the existing ones, which means that I cant fit them in my driveway...however the guy from the shop reckons that they would be able to flatten them out with the MU on a hoist and then fit them. Im not familiar with this technique.....anyone else vouch for this?

Also my original springs have 3 leafs. The ones that they have supplied had 5 leafs, but one leaf has been taken out so it is now has 4 leafs...I guess i wont know until i drive the car if/when they are fitted but I am hoping the 4 leafs will not be to harsh a ride. They are EFS springs FWIW.

To top it off the new u-bolts that they supplied insides diameter is to narrow....I am wondering if this is an indicator that they may have got the wrong year model rodeo suspension in the first place?

Any help would be much appreciated!

P.S I have done a search but cant find any definitive answers to my questions...
Plebz
Isuzu Baby

City: Adelaide
Vehicle: 2.8l TD MU

Re: Clarification of Interchangeable Parts for 1990MU

Postby jellis » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:45 pm

cant help you with what ones fit but it sounds like they fucked up.
4" is alot and yould have your spring hangers verticle if not on an obtuse angle to the chassis.
im not sure how much the springs would lengthen with the weight of the car on them tho
hopefully some one can help you out
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:06 pm

4cm not inches. If your current springs are sagged then the shackles will be pointing quite a way back. They should be only slightly back from vertical. 4cm is a lot though. Most people use 88/91Jackeroo springs but I would be suprised if the springs you have are different. Do use new bushes all round and if they are poly not rubber make sure your kids are not listening while you align the shackles. (new springs should be ok but I had to take my springs off during one repair and found they had a slight twist The pin always pushed the other bush out until I modified the bush)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Plebz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Will keep that in mind re: the bushes Geeves, cheers.

The biggest issue I see is that even when attemtping to install the spring myself the bottom of the shackle sits so far foward over centre that when the car is lowered I cant see how it could possibly go backwards....I mean its a looooooooooong way forward. This is even before I have managed to get the front attatch point for the leaf any where near the mount for the body..... Even if they do manage to stretch these springs a bit I cant see it working...

So 88/91 Jackeroo springs are the go eh?
Plebz
Isuzu Baby

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Sounds like something doesn't add up. There is a thread somewhere about leaf spring measurment -- its not as simple as eye to eye But it shouldn't be as hard as you're describing Pics might help Rodeo springs probably will be a much harder ride as the wheelbase on a mu is much shorter hence less force. Make sure the u bolts are long enough too before you start or you will probably be asking the kids to leave for a while (or at least cover their ears) And check the pins though the leaf pack -my new ones came with a hex head bolt that wouldnt fit throught the guide hole in the axle plate From memory I put a couple of axle stands under the chassis and a jack under the diff when I did mine (heavy duty and 50mm lift) Extended shackles make this job easier :D
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:45 pm

lovels spring is HR-15 There is a hd version but not wise on a mu. EFS should be able to cross match. It sounds like you have the wrong spring
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Plebz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Righteo well I may have gone of on a bit of a tangent with the Rodeo part of my description. I thought that it was the rodeo springs that were interchangeable, like alot of other parts? Seems not.

Anyhow I have no idea what these springs are meant to be for originally (i didnt specify rodeo to the shop) but I will ring the 4x4 shop back yet again tomorrow and try and find out what they have given me.

Cheers slightlydodgy, I will have a search for that thread, I need to get my head about a couple of things. Regarding the wheel base of a rodeo wouldn't it be just as long as a jackeroo?

I am after a 50mm lift with these springs but dont want to go HD, which is why I am a little worried about the 4 leaves vs the 3 in my original springs. Yeah I to have been using a couple of stands under the chassis and a jack under the diff. This is the fourth time that i have had these leaves in and out in the last two months, don't ask.... :evil: Though I can now bolt it all back together in under an hour so at least I am getting better at something :lol:

Yeah I checked the ubolts, were the right length, just not the right width inbetween.... :evil:

Stupidly I didn't take a photo of what it looked like when i was trying to fit the spring to show the angle of the shackle....

So geeves is the lovel HR-15 spring lifted over standard? I know i didn't outline that before but that is what I am trying to achieve at the moment.... Hopefully they can go on that and get the lifted version of what ever the EFS cross match is......

Cheers for all the feedback guys, its much appreciated!!! Especially as I think the shop has about as much of an idea as I do in regards to what's going on... :oops:
Plebz
Isuzu Baby

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:07 am

Rodeos are designed to carry loads hence the heavier springs where the jackeroos, mus, bighorns were designed as "passenger" vehicles Good luck with it all
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 am

hr15 is a 50mm lift. In reality though you have to take into account the amount yours has sagged. Mine went up 95mm
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension