• Advertisement

something went "ping"

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Re: something went "ping"

Postby amayesing » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:23 am

good ideas ta, i will try another battery but it sounds like its just bloody tight. the battery was charged up but is old and could be stuffed. I did notice that the fuel pump was very hard to turn over when the belt was off -is that normal? At first I panicked ,thought i'd left a locator bolt in the cam wheel - nup - but im getting good at stripping the old girl down -the isuzu that is. Hey muz - if she was that heavy i just wouldnt bother.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

City: auckland
Vehicle: 92 bighorn 3.1 intercooled auto (unfortunately)

Postby muzila » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm

LOL good on ya mate! :D :D
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby amayesing » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:29 am

Hmm -my last reply posted failed - sorry folks. Hey Geeves you were right -bluddy flat battery! I had CD player going while i was working on the old girl -a wee bit o romantic music to get her in the mood - and the battery went flat. Even tho i charged it back up again it obviously killed it. SOOO i stripped it all back down again for nothing (except practice). She goes ok thanks folks for all the helpful advice and tips. Have taken her for a few short outings, so far so good , will keep you posted.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:56 pm

always do the easy things first
A few years back I had a battery that would drop to 3v when key turned Naturaly spent 200 on new battery. 2 weeks later it was doing it again. This time I noticed how quickly the leads got hot. Starter motor had worn to the point that the armature was rubbing on the field coils and the current was finding the short way back to the battery. If you start calculating the current from a 750cca battery to load it down to 3V you are heading towards 1000A. New starter and its good as gold
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby amayesing » Thu May 09, 2013 2:24 am

Have done a few thou ks in the old chook and shes still running sweet, thanks for all the help. I still cant figure what killed the belt after just 50000k too tight? or too loose?, or maybe when I had the broken water pump replaced they did something nasty.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby amayesing » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Well I'm back again, still got the faithful old buggeress. She started making strange sounds like a broken tappet about 40000km ago and after lots of expert opinions and stripping of tappet assembly the best prognosis a diesel mechanic could make was just keep driving it, if it gets worse it will die, if not it will probably not be a major problem. Good advice it hasn't got any worse after 40k and if i let her have a decent warm-up the noise seems to be less noticeable. The old girl runs like a dream, pulls up most hills in top gear and uses bugger all fuel, its just the frequent oil changes and road user charges that are a bummer. Oh yeah the bloody sunroof leaks a bit so shes getting a bit smelly in the rainy season (only lasts 12 months in nz).
I do need a bit of advice tho, the alternator belt screeches when I start off which is not great when I leave for work at 1130pm. I have been told that the generic belts sold by repco etc are not the correct fit. I would appreciate some advice on this please as am sick of trying to adjust the belt, my knuckles especially.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 pm

I have hit that alternator belt problem myself. I have 2 belts here with the same marking but they are a different length. One manufacturer measures the inside of the belt the other the outside. If there is no more adjustment take the belt into a shop and ask for one size smaller. Cant remember the sizing
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby amayesing » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am

thanks for your input, the recommended belt size is 15A1015, i have got it pretty tight but may try the bosch brand from Isuzu parts as the profile may be better, who knows?
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Previous

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion