• Advertisement

the bighorn is dead long live the bighorn

Show us your Rig!

the bighorn is dead long live the bighorn

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:14 pm

After only 19 years of off road fun the old 89 bighorn failed its wof (roadworthy) inspection so badly that its next journey will be its last. Luckily at the same time after 2 years of searching a 95 swb bighorn came up at the right price. Its a manual 3.1 diesel and even better it already has plenty of toys added. It still needs front tow hooks to be upgraded and my locker and winch to be fitted but then its good to go. Last owner had it 15 years and looked after it quite well. It runs like a truck with half the mileage should.

Modifications and Accessories:

Suspension: Its had new rear springs at some stage and looks like a 50mm lift No idea what brand
Body Lift: No
Tyres/Wheels: After market mags and Hankook 265x70x16 road/at tyres but as soon as the key for the locking nuts arrives the old 32x11.5x15 mudstars on steels are going on stop press Now fitted with the 32s
Traction Aids: Rear air locker Chinese copy of ARB
Bullbar: TJM alloy bar with Howatt engineering winch cradle and Ridge Rider 9500 winch fitted with 9mm dyneema
Spot lights and Lighting:no
Communications/GPS: 25watt Eband rt tuned to CCVC channels Hand held PRS 5watt and Super Works 5w vehicle mount prs Chinese GPS
Dual Batteries: no
Engine: 4jg2 intercooled
Exhaust: Standard but the muffler is leaking. Watch this space
Sound system: JVC cd/usb with optional bluetooth adapter
External: Safari snorkel already fitted Watch this space for more
Internal: Custom rear box in rear but need to change this around to fit the cargo barrier from the old truck.
Others: Watch this space. Steel for side bars and rear bumper purchased Plastic and screws for flares purchased.
1.1kg fire extinguisher fitted to front of drivers seat

Pictures:

bh1.jpg

bh2.jpg

bh3.jpg

bh4.jpg

bh5.jpg

bh6.jpg

bh7.jpg

bh8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: the bighorn is dead long live the bighorn

Postby Isuzumu » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Looks like a nice vehicle Alan, look forward to seeing the mods.
Cheers Bruce
Isuzumu
Isuzu Senior

City: Nanango
Vehicle: Isuzu MU and Isuzu D.Max

Postby nb422 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Where in the country did you buy this truck? Looks familiar
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:48 pm

I bought it in Wellington but before that it was owned by an old guy in Picton till he left it to his son in his will. The box in the back has Marlborough rubbish bags and newspapers in it.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:57 pm

The muds are on but will need flares for a wof or maybe it will just get the original wheels back on
The winch is in after having a winch cradle made for the TJM bar by Howatt engineering They also modded the mounts and fitted rated front tow hooks. Winch now also has 9mm dyneema fitted
E band radio fitted PRS still to fit
Locker still to do although the compressor wiring and plumbing is complete. Any easy tricks to lifting a diff head without breaking ribs again?
Still got to remove sway bar at the front and maybe rear and maybe get a little more hight although its already shown that clearance isnt an issue on the Mckenzie trail. It did however demonstrate how much wider it is than the old truck and the rear plastic vent is now hanging in a tree somewhere near Foxton. For a truck still on open diffs it didnt disgrace itself. Very happy with its performance and economy
Wellington to Foxton beach the 20km of Mckenzie trail wich is all soft sand dunes including a little play then back to wellington which is 300km all up and the gauge is still over half. We all know half is Isuzu speak for 2/3
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Locker is in 2 radios in (that was fun but both radios plus the stereo mounted in dash is far tidier than the old truck) Reran the wiring for the compressor via a relay and its going better than it ever did. Rather than fitting a reservoir tank this time Ive fitted a 2 meter loop of rubber hose. This pumps up to 120psi in about 30 seconds and will allow 5 operations of the locker before the compressor tops it up.
Previous owner fitted a extended breather to the rear diff. That needs to be altered slightly and the long term plan is to connect both diff breathers plus the inlet for the compessor to the pipe on the top of the air filter.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:44 pm

muddy.jpg
A long time since last update
I dont know weather the original rear springs were non standard. I put lwb springs in and it went up a little. Put Cobra Extra raised springs in and with 32 inch tyres I can lie on my side under the gearbox xmember . 302mm at the cross member. Front raised almost the same amount and ball joint flip. With the new rear springs it kept smashing sway bar links. The sway bar was disconnected most of the time and the link put in for wof day. Then take a detore on the way home and a link turned into a broken bannana. Longer heavy duty linkages seems to have fixed that. Up front was the same but the front shocks failed so Raw shocks went in. I have a steel MCC bull bar to go on but this is heavy so I have upgraded the front torsion bars to Ironman heavy duty. Its more stable on the road but still articulates well so when the mcc bar goes on it will be even better. The front swaybar was disconected to adjust the front suspension and still is disconnected. 2.5 inch exhaust now as well. Apart from that its still shiney (a small part of the back door is anyway)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby nivaman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:03 am

Looks good.
I have a 94 swb, the same as yours (colour etc).
Am still to do mods such as turbo.
I have fitted a snorkel, bigger airbox intake, egr delete and deleted intercooler butterfly and made a steel front bumper.
Exhaust is still standard aside from a high flow muffler from a 6 cyl falcon.
I have replaced the head not long after I bought the truck as it was easier for me to do that instead of trying to drill out broken exhaust studs in the time I had to do the job.
While I was prepping the replacement head I gave it a mild port job but I note I need to redo the stem seals as blue smoke is emitted from the exhaust when running downhill in second with my foot slightly on the go pedal.
Have fitted a pair of Recaro front seats (matched the colour of the rear seats) and an Irmscher steering wheel.
When I bought it, it came with uprated rear springs (kings?) and Rancho adjustable rear dampers, have fitted a pair of Rancho front adjustable dampers.
I have fitted led lights all round (including in the cabin) apart from the indicators and headlights where I have fitted a pair of 6000k H4 headlights and led foglights.
It's been a really good truck and have been on a few 4x4 trips with it, including sleeping in it when the bunk house was full.
nivaman
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1994 Isuzu Bighorn LS 3.1 TDi SWB.

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:06 pm

A couple more pics
This was a Sunday drive today (yes I know its Friday but work commitments mean my weekends are not always on weekends)
IMG_20190703_141938A.jpg

IMG_20190703_142017a.jpg
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby DakarMU » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Nice one geeves!
DakarMU
Isuzu Baby

City: WA
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Diesel Isuzu MU