• Advertisement

vandals in Mavora again

For discussion about organised trips and events in NZ

vandals in Mavora again

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:58 pm

This came to my attention via a tramping forum. Shooting up the hut could of been anyone but demolishing the loo and pulling out fence posts suggests a vehicle involved. I hope it wasnt a clubisuzu member
Another access we will likely lose due to drop kicks we cant control

http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/southland/ ... mavora-hut
Gun-toting vandals have damaged a public hut in the Mavora Lakes, raising police concerns and potentially leading to restricted access to the popular, family-friendly area.
The Department of Conservation and police are investigating after an estimated $7500 damage was done to Boundary Hut during Labour Weekend.
Fence posts were ripped out and the entrance turnstile was removed and burnt; hut decking was torn up for firewood,
and food smeared throughout the hut's interior, a Doc spokesperson said.
Most troubling, however, was the complete destruction of the toilet and water tanks, which were all shot at close range.
Sergeant Tod Hollebon, of Te Anau, said it was very disappointing to see the damage.
"Back country huts are maintained to a very high standard by DOC at a considerable expense to the taxpayer. The public have a low tolerance for this sort of damage and everybody loses out.''
Police were investigating and anyone found responsible would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, Sgt Hollebon said.
The use of a firearm in the incident raised the level of seriousness of the incident, he said.
''To own and use a firearm is a privilege in New Zealand which will quickly be removed from those who show they are not fit to be in possession of one."
Doc, which manages Mavora Lakes Park, is reviewing whether 4WD and vehicle access to the park will be allowed to continue.
Grant Tremain, Conservation Services Manager for Fiordland District, said it was the most extensive damage he had ever seen in 20 years of looking after huts and campsites.
''These people drove to a public hut then destroyed it, it's disgraceful.''
''This type of vandalism affects visitors to this popular place and damages New Zealand's reputation, and the use of firearms in this way potentially put the safety of park users at risk.''
Anyone with information can give it anonymously through Crime Stoppers 0800 5551110800 555111.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: vandals in Mavora again

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:03 pm

I can think of a few things I would like to do to people like that but they aren't suitable for a family friendly forum. :twisted:
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I was thinking along the lines of sitting them inside a derelict hut or maybe woolshed so they can see for themselves what its like to shoot up a hut (from the outside) Make them walk round so shooter doesnt know if he will miss. Unfortuanatly thats not allowed but shooting there tyres and leaving them there is. July is a good time to do this
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:54 pm

A friend of mine in Marlborough had a great story about some poachers he found on his high country farm doing the lambing round He saw the spotlight and heard the shots so parked on the narrow rocky track facing away from the poachers turned off his lights and fired 3 shot out of his 303 5 minutes later the poacher came round the blind corner and ran into the reinforced steel deck on his Mitzi ute He left them there at 11 pm in August 1/2 and hour from the gravel road then another hour to the seal with a buggered radiator
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:00 pm

He didnt let off a few more fire crackers while they were walking did he? Hope it was a moonless night :twisted:
Pitch black you could double those walking times. A few loud noises would add to the tension.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:02 pm

This from a new member on tramper.co.nz

Just thought I would join to post that the three young men involved have been identified. I know these men, and had heard that they'd been dumb enough to let on to friends what they had done. I rang the the local cop but he was already aware of it.

The funny thing is that they are actually decent boys who have just done something completely stupid and alcohol fueled. Let them swing for it, and hopefully they'll learn.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:03 am

Glad they found the wankers.

It's amazing how dark it can get out in the back country. Especially in a valley with low cloud! I was on a school trip years ago when a teacher lost his car in the dark when checking on a group and had to walk a couple hours in the dark back to the main camp :lol:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Return to New Zealand Trips, Events and Club Chat