• Advertisement

IP upgrades

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

IP upgrades

Postby Downhillnz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:01 am

So I think I've done as much tuning to my pump as I can. Ive upped the max fuel and I have played with the boost compensator...

Is there anything else I can do? Can I bolt on a 3.1 pump and tweak it? Or is there any other known pump that works?
Downhillnz
Isuzu Junior

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8TD
1997 Toyota Corolla 1.5TD

Re: IP upgrades

Postby geeves » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:43 am

there is an adjuster inside under the boost compensator that can do magic things but dont know more. Also a long time ago someone suggested heavier springs inside the injectors. Once again I have no more info
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:31 am

i talked to mate at turbo and diesel when i built my truck, can machine out the pump and fit a 10mm plunger from memory they have a 8mm standard, a factory pump can pump alot of diesel though, my truck ran 18psi and still black smoke etc, 3.1 pump wont work as they arnt direct injection like the 4jb1 pump and doesnt make enough pressure
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:49 pm

I thought you said a while ago you were using a 3.1 pump?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:28 pm

ive only used 2.8 pumps on 2.8 and 3.1 pump on my swb 69 i have, i started to modify the internals in my 2.8 pump for my bighorn, but old pump was enough on 18psi then i sold the truck, now modifing a td42 pump with a 12mm head, as i said on 18psi and all the mods my truck had the pump could still pump enough fuel for thick black smoke when i was tuning it
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:03 am

Its not nessecsarily the amount of fuel that gives power. If you could of got the same amount of fuel into the cylinder in half the time (at the right time) through a nozel 2/3 the size into a fine enough mist it would of burnt that same amount of fuel cleanly and had nothing but power. Very hard to do that that with a mechanical pump
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:41 am

yes my bighorn had modified injectors and pressure was higher in pump, was played with mate at turbo and diesel, it went very well for a 3 tonne truck, better than my modified 3.1 swb bighorn
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby Downhillnz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:02 pm

I've played with the spring in the compensator.

Would having a lift pump to get the diesel to the pump without it having to vacuum it help?
Downhillnz
Isuzu Junior

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8TD
1997 Toyota Corolla 1.5TD

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Only if there is another problem in the fuel system
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby jellis » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:36 am

i found this a while ago while searching for info / mods to the fuel pump.

i have not brought anything from them so have no idea about the company.

http://www.rocken-tech.com/Pumps.html
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby Roderunner » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Downhillnz wrote:I've played with the spring in the compensator.

Would having a lift pump to get the diesel to the pump without it having to vacuum it help?

I would say yes, pumping the fuel to the injector pump from the tank helps to keep air out of the fuel system, most fuel lines suck some air from the connections/filter fittings/priming plunger. The pump should be mounted as close to the tank as possible.
The injection advance mechanism inside the injection pump is activated by the dynamic fuel pressure . When running at full throttle the pump pressure can drop if sufficient fuel isn't always available at the pump inlet ( in addition to any entrained air bubbles), which can retard the injection timing a tad just when you need it the most.
The injection pumps fuel pressure regulator valve works against the interior pump pressure along with a coil spring (not atmospheric pressure), so if you pressurize the fuel pump supply the fuel pressure regulator valve gets tricked into supplying a higher pressure into the plunger feed orifice, and the higher fuel pressure will also advance the injection timing. Obviously any added on fuel pump should only operate when the engine is running in case of an accident. The o-ring seal on the throttle shaft (among other seals) can leak when the pump pressure is increased if the seals are past their use by date, luckily most of them are cheap to buy so some can be replaced by the confident home mechanic.
Have you rotated the diaphram in the boost compensator?
Roderunner
Isuzu Senior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 93 Jackaroo

Return to Engines and Exhaust