• Advertisement

Torn cv boot

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: Torn cv boot

Postby geeves » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:59 am

I think it was Stardog some time ago posted pictures of changing the outer joint. Bruises a centimeter deep from the hammer blows. Add to that that none of the aftermarket joints are any good and you wonder why we always only use second hand complete assemblys
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:54 pm

That was quiet a few years ago I don't know if they are still on the site or not.
If I remember right it was when I rebuilt the whole front end of the Mu bushes ball joints steering box ect.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby Kennet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:34 am

hmm.. Thanks.. And if I don´t succeed, what then? Is that complete axle with both cv-s?
I`ve tried today without anything happens :(
Kennet
Isuzu Baby

City: Nykvarn
Vehicle: Opel Campo

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:10 pm

if you have a new cv joint just, twist the cv till the balls fall out take the outside cup off and cut the inner part off the axle, dont cut the axle though
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:13 pm

cvjoint.jpg
A picture tells many words so I have attached a picture of my spare cv joint for the ubs69. As you can see Ive got a few boots to do
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Kennet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:39 pm

This job increased a lot.. I´m sure how to do, I´m not convinced that it is cv is broken, when I drive so one wheel is slipping, it comes BAD noise from the hub/joint (?). First I thougt is was the automatic free wheel, I have loosen that, clean and tested again, same noise, but it seams working when I lift the wheel and turn around. Therefore I go for the cv joint.. but I don´t see any problem, no wear and tear, is that normal or should I find a faulty cv just by looking? I can still back of an put the part back again, but than I´m on square one again. The new cv I have is a aftermarket joint :(
Kennet
Isuzu Baby

City: Nykvarn
Vehicle: Opel Campo

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:25 pm

money is still on the auto hub. They can be notorious for this. A good time to upgrade to manuals. Auto hubs also make it hard to test. Lift the wheel turn the cv by hand with the wheel untill the hub locks then turn in the same direction
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:47 pm

There is a thread on Isuzu trooper owners UK with photos that show you the easy way to change boots by un doing the bottom ball joints 4 bolts that's attached to the lower arm.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:23 pm

On the old bighorn and the new one I had to do that but on the wizard I could get it apart after just removing the top joint and tie rod. Much easier as you dont have the hub assembly falling into your lap
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

lithium or moly bedenium grease ?

Postby DonaldNZ » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Gidday

My 97 wizard needs a outer cv boot, I will do both.
is there a particular brand you'd suggest.

Don't buy the NZ supercheap CV382 boots as the lip diameter as about 3-5mm too big on the large dia and 2-3 mm on the small.
Last edited by DonaldNZ on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 am

the standard type kits are much the same but dont get the lightweight stretchy boots which they say can be fitted without dismantalling. You need a special tool to do that and they do not stand up to foreign objects stabbing them. Grease is included in the boot kit.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby rustyvr4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 am

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-pa ... 738898.htm have just done both inner and outer boots on left side. about 20minutes whole job. not sure how well they will hold under extreme off roading. but for price and time saved. idea to have a spare in your tool box.
No officer i wasn,t slideways i think you was seeing things sir
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

City: tauranga
Vehicle: 1996 mu 3.1 turbo MANUAL, running 20psi. fuel maxed out. air adjustable shocks in rear. gas struts on bonnet

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 am

if using off road they will not last. however the idea of a spare is tempting
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby DonaldNZ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:29 pm

Was able to replace 4 front cv boots by disconnectng steering tie rod and bottom joint's 4 bolts, so only needed to separate the steering ball joint.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Previous

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension