• Advertisement

TF R9 Rodeo ute

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

TF R9 Rodeo ute

Postby BlairH » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:34 pm

So I have sold off all of my Bighorns and Mus... (hardest thing ever when you've spent years enjoying them and fixing things as you go along!) I have replaced them with a 99 TF R9 Rodeo space cab ute 2.8 diesel, 4wd manual. (my dog was the only one using the back seats in any of my pigs, so the space cab actually suits my needs rather well)

My ute has the recessed headlights which I have found to be pretty average at night until I added a large pair of Hella Rallye 5000 spotlights, which has greatly improved the high beams, but leaves the low beams severely lacking! I am not sure how to improve them so I am considering getting hold of some of the other style headlights that are flush mounted with the grill, in the hopes of improving my night time illumination.

Has anyone else done anything like the headlight swap before? The 98 - 2001ish Isuzu Wizard seems to have a very similar front on them, so I am hoping that they will be an easy swap (not to mention the front bumper has the foglights too, so could be a good upgrade) I may be able to get hold of a cheap 98 - 99 wizard with a blown engine to use as a donor vehicle, but I would like to know if it's going to be worth doing if anyone can offer any insight?

Thanks in advance for any input!
BlairH
Isuzu Baby

City: Napier
Vehicle: 1999 TF R9 Rodeo space cab ute. 2.8 diesel turbo, 4wd manual

Re: TF R9 Rodeo ute

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:14 am

The outer part is just a lens and its unlikely that one modern lens is appreciably better or worse than any other. The technology is all computer driven and takes into account the way the body designer wants it very well. It would make your wagon look different to all the others though.
One thing I have found that really crippled lights was the blue coloured bulbs. The ones I had were supposed to put out 30%more light and possibly they did judging by the objects I could see in the distance but if the road was wet I couldnt see it at all. Bulbs were sold to someone else within 2 months
Personally I would look at either Hella or Narva Plus 50 bulbs or maybe plus 100 ones. Otherwise a hid conversion would give you the best lights possible. Make sure the conversion you buy though is legal on Aussi roads A lot arnt
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Hamdog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:50 am

my wizard low beams were pretty crap , one bulb blew last week so i replaced them with the narva plus 50 h4 bulbs and boy what a difference! would highly suggest you try them , its litterally like night vs day now
Hamdog
Isuzu Junior

City: Napier
Vehicle: 96 Isuzu wizard

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:17 pm

I had them in the old bighorn I have then in the Wizard. When a bulb blows in the new bighorn its getting them as well. I even had them in my Toyota Carib. I dont do a lot of night driving. Do remember the plus 50s and plus 100s dont last as long as standard bulbs but in saying that they did 8 years in the old bighorn which went a few places it shouldnt of including parking 4 inches too close to a jeep without blowing.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby keiPHadventure » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi guys. You might want to try out what I do to most of my cars that have halogen lights. I install a booster harness with a relay kit that gives the headlights more current and is consequently more stable than using the OEM wiring harness. After that, I add a pair of 100W/90W bulbs, plus ceramic sockets to better deal with the heat. The result? 50% brighter low beams, no stress on the OEM harness and reliable lighting system.

As for auxiliary lights, if the low beams are still lacking. I install small 55W fog/spot lights on a lightweight and removable lightpod (which also holds my LED spotlights, wired to activate with the high beams BTW). I aim the spotlights low enough so it won't bother oncoming traffic, then aim them to the edges of the road so I can have a wider spread to augment the low beam spread.

I travel a lot at night so I have to have good lighting. :) LOL

Hope this helps guys.
keiPHadventure
Isuzu Baby

City: Quezon City
Vehicle: 2001 Isuzu Wizard 5-door

Postby turnturn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:01 pm

It's illegal to drive in New Zealand with your fog lights in conditions that don't require it.

The ticket will say something like "Inconsiderate use of fog lights during clear conditions, day or night".

$100 fine, no demerits that I know of.

Doesn't seem to stop about 1/3 of the twats down my way driving around with them on though....
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion