• Advertisement

Oricom uhf300

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Oricom uhf300

Postby tertle » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:13 am

Well this weeks task besides tackling the slight wheel bearing play in the right front is to install the weee (and god it's small) radio, I'm reasonably sure I can butcher my way through this but I was just wondering, I don't use the car lighter, (other than occasionally plugging in an iPhone recharger) the wires supplied are pathetically short, can I use the wires to the recharger, or should I just go get some more longer wires from jaycar?
tertle
Isuzu Junior

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Re: Oricom uhf300

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:36 pm

It will draw 1 amp when transmitting give or take so the lighter will supply enough current but you should still have a socket and inline fuse on the radio supply. Dont use small guage wire
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby tertle » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:08 am

geeves wrote:It will draw 1 amp when transmitting give or take so the lighter will supply enough current but you should still have a socket and inline fuse on the radio supply. Dont use small guage wire

Sorry geeves, when you refer to the socket and inline fuse on the radio supply are you referring to the cb radio I've purchased, or the car radio( music static and noise creator) that's in the car and are you suggesting I find red wire and black wire socket thingy and jam these wires in there?

Effectively I was going to run a red wire to the power source to the radio and earth the black wire, unless I'm very confused??
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:58 pm

I would cut into the lighter feed and fit a plug and socket. It is good practice to use a twin socket with the earth feed on the other contact. The cb probably has a inline fuse supplied but if not fit one with 5 amp fuse
The feed to the stereo is likely not heavy enough
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby tertle » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Well I got it to work, rather simple, hence why I'm posting as god knows what ticking time bomb I've created.......!

I found a bolt that bolted into the metal in behind the dash, the body of the vehicle, and loosened it off and put black wire to that and tightened, then got decent thick red wire from the guy at Jay cars, crimped that to the red wire from the radio (and yes it had a fuse attached) and fed it through a grommet In the firewall and to the battery, tested and it worked! Surely it couldn't have been that simple? Even put the normal truck radio on and tested and there was no noticeable static, mind you I did test with a crapy old cheap hand radio set, but it sent and received transmission!

I'm loving this tinkering so far.......
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:51 am

You forgot the aerial lead

If you ran a power wire direct to the battery then the radio will work with the engine is off. This can be useful but remember to turn it off when not in use as it can flatten the battery if the cars sitting a couple of days
Direct off the battery will give the best performance though
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby tertle » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:08 pm

Lol, no I even installed the areal, i have a rather large aluminium roof tray and was going to mount the aerial from on top of that but apparently not the best. Ground plane??

So I'm thinking the next project will be installing a duel battery system with a small hard wired solar panel on the roof tray just to trickle charge a small amount to the battery.
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Postby blairreed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:14 pm

I got told on the middle of the roof was the best ground plane? If you put it on the roof and go under trees a lot make sure its a super springy areal :P
"adventure is the respectful pursuit of trouble"
blairreed
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1993 MU

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:01 am

most antenae work best with a ground plane but often uhf antennae are designed to work without it
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby NewZealandTrooper » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Hey guys,
My buddy and i both have these radios and find they perform quite well. Had around 10km distance
of clear transmission the other day. I was waiting in a quarry pit so not the best spot and he was driving through some pines.

His antenna is mounted of a bracket riveted to the roof on drivers side, i just drilled a big a$$ hole in the lhf gaurd.

Very good units, external speakers mounted on the b pillars make them even better :) and tiny as!!
NewZealandTrooper
Isuzu Baby

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1989 Isuzu Trooper LS

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion