• Advertisement

Auckland N.Z. Mute!

Getting to know one another, and general Chit chat about anything and everything

Re: Auckland N.Z. Mute!

Postby isuzurob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:13 pm

if you get a 2.5 or 2.8 diesel, cab it will match up with the mu, you will have to change the glow plug timer wiring though for your 3.1 engine, also somtimes you have to move the front chassis cab mounts to match the new cab
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby BCC1994 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:37 pm

Do you still have the cold start symptoms or have you moved on to an engine change? If it is a mechanical injection pump I have read there is a cold start mechanism which can get stuck and make it a pig when cold (belching white smoke and missing severely) and run fine when warmed up. My first Jackaroo 3.1TD did this and I ended up scrapping it because no one knew what was causing the problem. I only read about it years later.

Bruce
BCC1994
Isuzu Baby

City: Jerrabomberra
Vehicle: Jackaroo 1994 3.1TD

Postby geeves » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Several bits to the cold start system and its different between the 2.8 and 3.1.
Both have a butterfly in the exhaust which aids a fast warm up On both the temp of the coolant has to be below 5C and the engine heat switch operated to work. If this jams it can cause low power and possibly smoke but warm up wont clear it
The 2.8 has a simple device that advances the timing below 5C which generally works well but just above this it will smoke and play up for the first few minutes of running. It also changes the glow plugs from 0.5 sec to 30 sec
The 3.1 is similar but works partially from a higher temp With glow plug timing and advance adjusted to suit. Most 3.1s will always start cleanly but you must wait for the glow plug light to go out.
My Wizard would always miss when cold but would come right after 20 or so seconds.I put up with it. The pump was rebuilt after it started to leak and the miss is gone
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby willyr » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 pm

This sounds like the problems I'm having with my truck maybe? Where is the butterfly valve that could be stuck? If I replace the exhaust as I plan to at some stage will that get rid of it?
willyr
Isuzu Baby

City: Blenheim
Vehicle: 1990 bighorn

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 pm

On the 2.8 is is just below the turbo. On the 3.1 its under the floor.
An exhaust replacement wont touch yours unless you do the dump pipe but you can unbolt it and remove the butterfly and either put the bolt back through or have the holes welded up
3.1 its nice and easy to get at
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Previous

Return to The Bar