• Advertisement

Bloody squeaky clutch!!

Getting to know one another, and general Chit chat about anything and everything

Bloody squeaky clutch!!

Postby SamMu93 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:17 pm

So my Mu has decided to start squeaking every time you push down on the clutch...
Its coming from the side of the gearbox- theres a piston with a boot on it that is making a racket- so what should I use to shut it up? Fill it with grease? Crc?

Cheers guys
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Re: Bloody squeaky clutch!!

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:10 pm

Is it a squeak as you push the clutch or a squeak while you have it pushed.
If its the first a litle grease on the linkage wont hurt but its not a common problem
If its the second its most likely the release bearing. Good new on this is its a cheap part. Bad news is it sits on the gearbox input shaft inside the bellhousing. Its a gearbox out to fix. Might as well do a full clutch job
Sometimes dirt causes the noise and it might clear by itself ( or you might just get used to the noise)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby SamMu93 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Its a squeak as you push the clutch in- it seems like the noise is coming from the lever that sticks out ofthe gear box (which connects to a piston) (will get a picture tomorrow). Ill get a grease gun onto it tomorrow and see if that helps
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby isuzurob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:30 am

just remove the slave cylinder off the side of the gearbox, 2 bolts hold it on and apply heavy duty grease to the piston and clutch fork, you will see the wear when you take it off
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby Sharft6 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:27 pm

I had the same problem with a 1997 Holden Rodeo which is just a rebadged isuzu ute. The same thing happened to my cousin's older isuzu ute but still 90s era. His master cylinder eventually detached from the firewall so he replaced the clutch, oil seal and lubed everything at the same time. So he's not sure what stopped the squeaking.

I removed the slave cylinder as suggested here and greased the ball that pushes on the arm/clutch fork as well as the contact point against the slave cylinder under the rubber boot. No difference. I then removed the rubber around the clutch fork arm on the edge of the bell housing, tried to grease the pivot point of the clutch fork arm then ended up sprayed it with penetrating oil because it's hard to see/reach, then I put grease on a piece of wire and poked it in to spread a little grease on the input shaft of gearbox between the release bearing and the pressure plate fingers. At this point it seamed nothing was working and the squeak was still there. I put it all back together and decided to give up. Left it a couple days then came back, bled the clutch a little and took it for a test drive. The squeak has now disappeared.

In the end I think it was coming from the release bearing rubbing on the gearbox input shaft (it felt slightly sticky or gummy with everything disconnected). It just took a while to spread the small amount of grease. In hind sight I'd probably give it a little more grease but there you go.

Fair warning - the rubber cover around the clutch fork arm on the bell housing might take some patients to put back in properly.
Sharft6
I'm only here for the information

City: Hastings
Vehicle: 1997 Holden Rodeo

Return to The Bar