• Advertisement

Isuzu Mu suspension tweaking continues

For all suspension modifications

Isuzu Mu suspension tweaking continues

Postby SamMu93 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 am

Since I have lifted the rear and wound up the torsions in the front, the ride has never been that great...
I have removed a leaf from each of the rear leaf sets to soften the rear which has more or less sorted that, but the front remains quite hard.
When I removed a leaf from the rear this dropped the back slightly which ment I could unwind the front torsions (local garage had them wound hard against the upper bump stops so I was on rails!
Now I have had front upper bumps stops cut and the front diff has been dropped to sort the cv angles.

I need to find out if there is any way to get the front softer for small bumps (everyday driving).
The way I understand it is: when you wind up your torsions you loose the initial sag they had and so they end up initally stiff to small bumps- but work on larger hits.
In reading about winding torsions vs heavy duty torsions, it appears that heavy duty ones would be softer if not wound vs wound stocks (both increasing ride height)

My reference: http://www.4x4web.com.au/skips4x4/articles/torsionbars.htm

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by SamMu93 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Re: Isuzu Mu suspension tweaking continues

Postby SamMu93 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:59 am

I also have a 2" body lift kit that I was thinking of installing in the hope that the leverage from raising the body would soften it a little...
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby isuzurob » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:54 pm

as ive said i have a 3 inch suspension and 2 inch body and mine rides like the day i got it factory, have just fitted calmini top a arma which has made the ride even better and more suspension travel, heavy duty torsion bars will give you more lift without bottoming out the thread on the adjuster bolt, aftermarket torsion bars dont flex as good as factory torsion bars though
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:30 am

This is on your Bighorn?
How much were the calmini a arms?
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby isuzurob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:45 pm

yes on my bighorn, i had factory top arms and it drove mint with cut bump stops and flipped ball joints, just got arms to get more travel, im nz agent for calmini arms were 1k then 300 import tax
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Return to Suspension