• Advertisement

No indicators or hazard lights working

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

No indicators or hazard lights working

Postby Grasshopper » Mon May 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi, I have a 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 Diesel. Over a few weeks my indicators stopped working intermittently and then finally stopped working altogether. Checked hazard lights and they don't work either. I suspected the flasher relay which the one fitted was a Niles if336 3 pin 12.8v. I took to Local parts store and was sold a replacement item of a different brand and only 12v. I tried fitting this but still no indicators or hazard lights.

I've read a few posts here in relation to similar problems but wondering if anyone has had same experience and how to fix it.

Regards
Grasshopper
Grasshopper
Isuzu Baby

City: Gisborne
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 1996 3.1 Diesel Ltd

Re: No indicators or hazard lights working

Postby geeves » Mon May 09, 2016 3:36 pm

1 previous post had all his bulbs blown. Cause unknown but as far as I can remember replacing the bulbs was a permanent fix. My thoughts are the fuse or the relay that puts power to the flasher.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Grasshopper » Tue May 10, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks for reply. I've looked for a fuse for indicators but found none in either the kick panel fuse box or the under hood fuse box. I thought the relay and flasher were the same thing.
Grasshopper
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Tue May 10, 2016 6:19 pm

i know on my 2.8 bighorn, the fuses for random stuff is cable tied to the steering colum under the dash with the loom
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 pm

indicator.jpg
fusebox.jpg

these might help
Looks like fuse c3 in the box under the dash The flasher is on the back of this box. Also a suggestion from the wiring diagram that the ignition switch could come into it. Do all the dash lights come on before you start the engine?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Hamdog » Thu May 19, 2016 5:22 pm

have you checked the relay? mine all stopped working about a month after drowning the inside of my truck, was one of the relays in the drivers kick panel
Hamdog
Isuzu Junior

City: Napier
Vehicle: 96 Isuzu wizard

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:21 am

I recently(1 or 2 years ago) had radiator replaced and aftermarket transmission cooler installed after vehicle seriously overheating going up hills.

Recently developed a leak somewhere which I neglected to find and temporarily fixed with a $9.00 additive. Vehicle overheated going up a hill recently and without warning engine cut out.
Stopped on side of road and radiator boiling and burning oil smell in the air.

Vehicle still starts and runs but quickly overheats and intermittently puffs of smoke come out exhaust when driving. Seems to have a miss as well.

No signs of oil in water or water in oil. Does have an audible whining sound which I heard may be the water pump bearings. Advice I've had so far is to check thermostat.

Any suggestions re diagnosing would be much appreciated.
Grasshopper
Isuzu Baby

Postby turnturn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Although you say that there is no oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil, it still sounds like Head/Head gasket problem. Engines generally don't like being overheated.

Look for bubbles in the coolant. Radiator cap off (engine cold or removed very carefully), engine idling, once engine is up to normal operating temperature, ie thermostat open, look into radiator cap hole for bubbles going past (a torch may help). Geeves descibes another (probably better method) eslewhere on this site. Have a search for it.

Water pump. Whip the belts off and have a feel of the pump. They dont particularly fail as they are quite simple. It would have to have lost some of its impellor blades, be very rusty or have stopped turning to stop circulating water.

Whining sound may also be the turbo (especially if your vehicle has over approx 180,000 ks on it).

You may need to do a compression test.

Short term you can remove your thermostat to remove it from the equation.

Also sometimes after overheating sediment is dislodged from within the cooling channels/galleries that can block, or partially block, the radiator.

Aso you should probably have posted this in a more relevant/new topic. If I knew how to move it I would. Geeves may come along and do it.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks for advice. Will have a look at these.
Grasshopper
Isuzu Baby

Return to Electrical