• Advertisement

BUDGET COIL SAS TIME

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

BUDGET COIL SAS TIME

Postby topgun94 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Thought it was about time i threw some information up about the Coil SAS conversion.
Upon setting off on this engineering journey the aim of the project was to build a stronger front end and stop breaking CV joints. As the tracks got harder and mates got more persuasive i found myself replacing more and more of the bastards. I am not aiming for a flex monster nor am i throwing $$$ for a bullet proof chromoly setup. I am aiming to make a more reliable front end! This bundera chassis belonged to my friend and he did the same tracks never breaking anything on the front! This is a budget SAS conversion done by an enthusiastic 4wdriver and his boiler maker old man. I forsee plenty of teething issues along the way but should be a heap of fun. I would love to have it engineered but i guess that depends what they say after i roll it into the shop.

So sit back and relax. Budget Coil SAS.

Platform - 1991 Isuzu MU (2.8 TD with standard 4.55 diff ratios)
Axle housing - 1986 RJ Toyota bundera
Diff - Toyota bundera HI-Pinion 4.55 front diff with ARB airlocker.
Springs - Standard 80 series springs (Im pretty sure they are standard 80's, they came of the donor chassis)
Shocks - TBA Standard - 50mm shocks from a landcruiser are looking about right atm.
Coil tower / shock tower - Grafted from Bundera Chassis
Custom panhard mount
Radius Arms - Toyota bundera standard arms
Radius arm mounts - Custom fabricated radius arm mounts
Driveshaft - Using the isuzu gearbox side and going to cut the ISUZU uni / diff flange off and weld a Toyota one on before being re balanced
Steering shaft - Grafting toyota end onto Isuzu shaft
Steering box - Toyota Bundera steering box with standard pitman arm
Steering arms - Grafted from Bundera chassis
Power steering hoses - High pressure side hose made by enzed. Low pressure simply cut and clamped.
Rear axle - About to embark on an SOA.

1.jpg

Rolling the DONOR chassis off the trailer
2.jpg

Picking and pulling the parts we wanted
3.jpg

Those first cuts into the IFS
4qa.jpg

Old IFS parts we wont be needing
5.jpg

Chassis cleaned back. Instead of getting rid of all of the underneath we plan on plating some of it up so that we have more mounting space for the coil / shock towers.
6.jpg

To clear the diff / SUMP its gonna sit fairly high!
7.jpg

8.jpg

Starting to mock up some radius arm mounts. Will all be braced and gusseted back to the chassis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Re: BUDGET COIL SAS TIME

Postby topgun94 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:49 pm

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
Some more pictures of progress below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby isuzurob » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:54 pm

looks good, but the bottom arms seem to low which will change the caster and make it not very nice to steer
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby topgun94 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Yeah the castor will be a bit of trial and error on this one i think.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Does anyone know how to rotate this images?!?! they just upload the wrong way round!

18.jpg
17.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:47 am

did you take the pictures with a smart phone?
Google exiv data to find a free fix
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby iananita » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:24 am

Well done. Love to see some action shots when done
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby MUVIT » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00 am

cool.
if i ever could comit to a SAS swap, I reckon id settle for 35" tyres & move the front diff forward & rear diff rearward maybe 2"s.
so many options, thanks for posting it up.
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

City: Darwin
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 96

Postby topgun94 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:11 pm

MUVIT. Im leaning between 33 and 35s at the moment will see how it handles on the road before making that choice. Will also be throwing on either -28 or -44 rims to widen the wheel base a little. The front diff has been pushed forward approx 1.5". I haven't started the rear yet but was thinking about using springs out of my DMAX. Which would give me approx spring center pin 60mm further back. then you have to start looking at driveshafts and what not.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Not sure about the budget bit?????
Its a modification that has been done many times with great results but everyone will tell you about unexpected hurdles and costs
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby topgun94 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:59 am

Cost thus far
Bundera chassis - Carton of great northerns
Bundera 4.55 with ARB locker, hubs, brakes etc - $700
Steel - Less then $50 in plate steel
Power steering hose - $108
Labour - Many hours in the shed.

Costs to come
Shocks
SOA Rear.

Obviously i do expect there to be unforseen costs along the way. Will have to see how much of a budget i can stick to!
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:46 pm

So i got a few days off back in Brisbane to complete a little bit more work on the ol girl.
The bill has expanded slightly.
Beadlocked 33" TSL swampers - $550
Front Drive shaft - $20
Front Procomp shocks - Got given them along with another set of springs to play with.
Brake Lines - $80
Bolts / washers assorted - $40

Unrelated to the SAS - I also picked up a 120AMP alternator off facebook classifieds and installed her. Fired up running 14.2V without a hitch! $100! Should keep the winch a little happier than my original mud filled one. haha

Couple quick SOA pics i grabbed. Still have to grab some photos for it positioned. The spring perch is only held on by 2 x straight welds on the diff. Easily cut and repositioned on top. Will Have to flex up and see what size shocks i need. The original shock mounts arent going to work. I used my original MU springs which have been sitting in the shed for 4 years collecting dust. I used these coupled with extended shackles. The Ride height is pretty dead on.
19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Few photos of the front all finished off with a bit of paint. Will have to play with caster once all spring heights are sorted and weights of bullbar / winches go back on.
28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg
Last edited by topgun94 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Front tail shaft has different bolt pattern. However upon playing around with a few parts i found that the original MU drive shaft with an isuzu UNI joint fits a bundera pattern head to the end! Just hope its going to be long enough. Otherwise i might swap it the other way. Use the bundera shaft with MU transfer case side..

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

AND I FINALLY GOT SOME BRAKES WORKING (Although soft i think some seals in the master cylinder may have perished) AND GOT THE OLD GIRL OUT OF THE SHED!

34.jpg
33.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby MUVIT » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Yes!
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

Postby topgun94 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 pm

Things are getting exciting now. I have been working away from home (where the shed is) so progress has been slow.
I was finally able to take the mu for a drive / quick stretch and discovered i have violent death wobbles at 50 - 60 KPH.
Roughly aligned the toe in / toe out - no change.
Removed steering RTC dampner - no change (these are notorious apparently for making wobbles worse.
Changed back to tyres that i knew was balanced - DRIVES BLOODY GREAT.
When i set out i originally said that i wasn't looking for flex but i tell you... its bloody addicting and once you get a taste you only want more.
Still to buy - Tailshaft spacer.
Still to do - Wire in compressor for airlocker and run airlines. Modify rock slider. GO DRIVING.

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

Postby MUVIT » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:09 pm

cool pics
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

Postby iananita » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Very impressive. Are you doing this for fun or doing comps?
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby nb422 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm

So tyres fixed the death wobble? I have sasd mine on leafs and have a violent death wobble at 40kph that cant be driven through. Am thinking about doing radius arms and coilovers now as much easier to certify in nz.

IMG_0723.JPG
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby Loganmute » Wed May 31, 2017 8:00 pm

love this
Loganmute
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu mu with rodeo body flat deck tray soon to be safari diffs

Postby Hutch75 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Love it! :D
Hutch75
I'm only here for the information

City: Napier
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Mu UCS 69 4JG2-T (badged as Honda Jazz)

Next

Return to Special Mods