• Advertisement

Approaching high miles

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Approaching high miles

Postby pencil » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi All,

My old 98 Rodeo is approaching the 370k mark and I've had it 3 years since the 325k mark.
When I picked it up for $2k originally with zero service history to speak of I replaced the front CV's due to split boots, replaced front bearings, replaced clutch and replaced the power steering pump after it decided to implode on itself and finally have put new rotors on the front.
Generally I have kept the oil, lube and coolant changes at 5000k and filters at 10k, lube and coolant as recommended and it seems it is travelling pretty well touch wood.
Whilst the old bus is beaten up as far as body is concerned the engine still seems to run strong, but I'm just wanting to pick some brains as to what should go on the agenda for repairs/maintenance potentially before it goes wrong as some of you have well exceeded this mileage in a 4JB1-T and probably know what the future potentially holds.
Cheers for your insight.
pencil
Isuzu Baby

City: Sydney
Vehicle: 1998 Holden Rodeo 2.8 TD

Re: Approaching high miles

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm

With good servicing they run 450 to 500k in 4x4s and up to 1m in trucks. Replace your water hoses. All the good books say do every 6 years but I would bet yours are original. Cam belts and blown hoses are the 2 biggest killers of well maintained good running high milage engines. Is yours a belt or gear driven engine?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby pencil » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:40 am

Geeves,

Thanks for the reply.
Actually I did the hoses when I did the radiator fluid about 20k back which I forgot to mention.
Its a gear driven engine so no belts.
Water pump looks as though it was changed at some point and the gasket is still soft and rubbery so seems like it was done at least only a couple of years ago.
Not really much in the way of fumes when I take the oil cap off either.
It does pump out a good puff of white/grey smoke at initial start up but otherwise a bit of typical black smoke when accelarating.
I thought they got a good 500k out of them and thats why im contemplating what I do and if I give it a good once over and a cheap respray to make it look a little more pleasing to the eyes and get a couple more years out of it.
Any internal adjustments that should of been done or could be made?
pencil
Isuzu Baby

City: Sydney
Vehicle: 1998 Holden Rodeo 2.8 TD

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Did you do All the heater hoses as well? The 4 that go to the oil cooler are troublesome and you would remember doing them for all the wrong reasons. When I did those hoses I had to enlist the help of my neibour who has skinny hands and is a mechanic.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion