• Advertisement

Auto Trans Problems

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Auto Trans Problems

Postby Bighornmatt » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:29 am

Hi there, ive been having problems with the trans in my 96 bighorn for a while now. Mainly after ive taken it out of 4wd upon reacing the tarmac again, when i get up to around 100k it seems to run out of gears. At 100k its pulling around 4500rpm. Ive tried stopping and shutting off for a few minutes but when i take off the problem persists. After a while of cruising along at around 90k, at any random time or distance it will all of a sudden change up about 2 or 3 gears within a couple of seconds and will now happily sit around 2000rpm at 100k. Also, even after not being offroad for a while if i put it in o/d at 100k (2000rpm), it shoots up to about 3500-3700 and almost seems to slow down? Ive taken it to a workshop where they gave the trans a service but it made absolutely no difference. Any Ideas?
Bighornmatt
I'm only here for the information

City: Gore
Vehicle: 1996 Bighorn

Re: Auto Trans Problems

Postby geeves » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:38 pm

could be corosion in the conectors to the auto but this is the least minor of the posibilities.
Try disconecting and reconecting all the connections a few times and see what happens.
Next is putting it on a diagnostic machine and see what it says. Im thinking ecu or valve body problem. It could also be the temperature sensor. What colour was the fluid before changing?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Auto Trans Problems

Postby Bighornmatt » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:51 pm

To be honest, i cant remember. It was quite a while ago now. The mechanic never mentioned anything, i told him of these problems and he couldnt seem to find anything wrong. Makes me wonder if it is something as simple as a crook connection. Ill try your suggestions and see how i get on.
Much appreciated
Bighornmatt
I'm only here for the information

City: Gore
Vehicle: 1996 Bighorn

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension