• Advertisement

alarms/imobilisers for insurance purposes

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

alarms/imobilisers for insurance purposes

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Insurance company has told me that because I have x no of modifications my car is a high theft risk. I know we all know a car jacker wouldnt be seen dead in a mud bucket like mine and a midnight parts shopper would just load it onto a tow truck and drive away regardless of what any alarm was doing but we have to humour the insurance co who want a professionally installed imobiliser along with proof or an additional excess of 1400 applies to any theft :x

A quick web search seems to show little change from 300 bucks :cry:
Any other thoughts except dont park in unlocked spaces
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: alarms/imobilisers for insurance purposes

Postby ecw23able » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:57 am

Hi Jeeves, I am an Authorised install for AVS and may be able to help you out here, PM me for info .
ecw23able
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 96 Isuzu Wizard 3.1
Bridgestone D674 M/Ts
Runva 11XP Winch
100Ahr Second battery with Victron Solar Control
80W BP Solar Panel on the roof,
Full Length Light bar

Postby isuzurob » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:09 am

its the install that kills it, i got a 5 star mongoose alarm thats water proof for $189 but took me a day to fit it, alarms dont stop them ive had 2 cars stolen with them in
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 am

And the other side of immobilizers is they fail. we have towed on truck out of the bush because of an alarm and committed surgery on another.
Then there is factory imobilisers. My son bought a 2005 Astra 3 months ago. Its already spent a week at Holden dealer because of a total immobilizer fail and even now every now and then it comes up with a flashing spanner and no start. 10 minutes later nothing wrong. I think I know why the car was cheap at $3k and only 145000km
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:58 pm

AH astra had issues with keys and key readers around the ignition switch, yes i have removed alot of them aswell, but what can you do if you want decent insurance
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Return to Special Mods