• Advertisement

Diesel pump for a manual conversion

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Diesel pump for a manual conversion

Postby polyarkos » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Team,

My Bighorn has a manual gearbox conversion but is still using the original auto diesel pump. I've had the pump and injectors reconditioned but the auto pump cannot be adjusted anymore to idle below 900RPM. What have others done with the pump after a manual conversion? What are the differences between the pumps from a manual vs. auto gearbox?

Regards,

JP
polyarkos
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1994 Bighorn 3.1

Re: Diesel pump for a manual conversion

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:43 pm

As long as yours is a non electronic version which should be the case in a 94 all there should be was a throttle position sensor and maybe an fast idle solinoid which would be external. Try disconecting the vacumm from the solinoid on the pump and seeing if that makes a diffeerence. 900 is ok though although not perfect. How were you measuring speed? Im not sure how accurate the factoy rev counter is
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Should be able to wind the idle stop out till it stalls the engine
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby polyarkos » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 pm

isuzurob wrote:Should be able to wind the idle stop out till it stalls the engine

I thought the same but the guy who reconditioned the pump and injectors said he couldn't get it down to 650rmp. I'm going to look into geeves suggestions this weekend
polyarkos
Isuzu Baby

Postby polyarkos » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:58 pm

geeves wrote:As long as yours is a non electronic version which should be the case in a 94 all there should be was a throttle position sensor and maybe an fast idle solinoid which would be external. Try disconecting the vacumm from the solinoid on the pump and seeing if that makes a diffeerence. 900 is ok though although not perfect. How were you measuring speed? Im not sure how accurate the factoy rev counter is

Idle was set up by the guy who recond the pump. I've disconnected the fast idle, does the screw that sets the idle come with a tin cover like the fuel adjuster? I think I've found it but never seen one with the cover before.
polyarkos
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Not normally, if you look down at the injector pump, you will see the threaded stop the throttle plate hits against, just adjust that screw
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby polyarkos » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:29 am

isuzurob wrote:Not normally, if you look down at the injector pump, you will see the threaded stop the throttle plate hits against, just adjust that screw

Thanks, I found it underneath the tin cap :D
polyarkos
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine