• Advertisement

Wheel bearing stuck to spindle

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Wheel bearing stuck to spindle

Postby polyarkos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:14 pm

I've replaced my front wheel bearings and the hub would not come off without a huge hammer. The hub spindle is all sorts of blue, almost like the heat has welded the bearings on.

Will I need to replace the hub spindles? I'm having issues getting the bearings set to the correct preload and I don't think the bearings are located correctly.
polyarkos
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1994 Bighorn 3.1

Re: Wheel bearing stuck to spindle

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 pm

If its blue its been hot. The question is was it factory heat treatment or cooked bearings / brakes.
What were the symptoms before replacing bearings? If it was siezed then heat damage it likely and a replacement spindle is the best option.
When you say you had to use a hammer to get them off was this the inner outer or whole assembly?
What was the grease like? Hard dry and rusty is not good
When you say you cant get it to sit right and cant set preload do you mean it still has movement when its starting to bind? If you have assembled correctly the only way to fix this is a new spindle.
There are a few bighorns being wrecked on trademe down your way so a replacement shouldnt be hard to get at an ok price
Take the opertunity to replace the needle bearing for the cv shaft at the same time
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby polyarkos » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

I thought the bearings were shot, turns out the auto hubs were busted and permanently on and because the needle bearings were rusty it was quite noisy. I replaced the needle and wheel bearings, CVs, manual hub swap, ball joints, rotors and pads, and wheel studs (one snapped off)

The inner bearings were a pig to get off - needed a couple of big whacks with a hammer. Now it feels/sounds like the bearings aren't on properly (whump whump whump sound at low speeds <40km/h) and the brakes are dragging.
polyarkos
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 pm

It may just need adjusting again. I always fit mine. Set them a little tight then take it for a 5 to 10km drive. They are always loose again but second adjustment is always perfect. If you ever see a bighorn driving round with the freewheel hub removed that is why.
Check for play but also check your disc for run out and the calliper for sticking sliders
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby polyarkos » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:41 pm

I've readjusted after 100km and it made it a little worse, I'll check the calipers this weekend - want to rebuild them anyway
polyarkos
Isuzu Baby

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension