• Advertisement

4jg2t turbo noise , oil drain pipe leaking

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

4jg2t turbo noise , oil drain pipe leaking

Postby mikeman101 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:23 am

Hi guys , having some issue with turbos on my 4jg2t , the turbo started screaming when hitting boost like a whistling noise , i installed a new turbo and it did the same on first run (waited 5 min idling before the run) then after 10 minutes it just stopped and was good for afew weeks.

Then this morning i started it up and drove without to much of a warm up and the turbo started screaming and stopped once at operating temp .

The oil drain from turbo has a light split in the pipe but i haven't been to worried because virtually no oil is coming out but its still noticeable , so is it the split in the pipe causing air to drain all the oil from the turbo bearing causing it to scream or is it a case of me just needing to warm it up for longer ? i really dont want to buy ANOTHER turbo.

cheers

22851932_10155828290634122_7689291777407018013_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikeman101
Isuzu Baby

City: oamaru
Vehicle: 1989 bighorn turbo diesel , 1990 4ze1 trooper

Re: 4jg2t turbo noise , oil drain pipe leaking

Postby tonkamu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Isn't that a bad thing that oil is not leaking out the exit pipe? maybe its not getting enough oil to your turbo because of an air leak in that pipe?

Have you checked your compressor side for excess play. Surprised nobody has replied. Just my 2 cents to help a fellow Isuzu member.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Check all the pipes on the boost side of the turbo are tight. My old bighorn did this after the egr was removed by the sellers mechanic. He reused the metal gaskets under hand cut alloy plates. Paper gaskets fixed the noise. Anything that might restrict oil to the turbo must be fixed. Even if it isnt the cause the turbo seller will not honor the warrentee
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby tonkamu » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 am

I have a question. I pulled my intake off to check for fitting intercooler. I've noticed a lot of oil in the intake manifold and intake piping, it was dripping and running down after taking the large flexi hose to intake manifold running down the outside. I checked compressor play and it moves side to side about 1mm its abit wiggly. When cold it smokes abit of dirty white, when warm it smokes black abit after gear change.
Is my turbo on the way out?, what kind of life can I expect to get out before it dies? Time for upgrade?

Mine is the 4jb1 turbo early 91 model.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby geeves » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Side play or end float. A little end float does show a worn turbo but not uncommon or that bad. Side play though is very bad. 1mm would almost see the impeller hitting the casing and if that happens bits of turbo might go through the engine which could be fatal for the engine.
Oil might be turbo but more likley its blow by oil. Isuzu did not design the breather very well and you always loose some oil to the inlet
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby tonkamu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:52 am

Yeah I hear that, I do get smoke/vapour out the fill hole when idle, goes away after 1k revs... can I plug up the 2 breather pipes from intake, the one from manifold and the one from intake pipe no pressure side and just keep the one from valve cover into my catch can that feeds to sump.

Is side play grabbing the shaft the impeller sits on and moving it side to side and float is in and out? Then its side play I have, I didn't check float.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

Return to Engines and Exhaust