• Advertisement

Wizard 4JG2 Power Steering issues

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Wizard 4JG2 Power Steering issues

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:18 am

Hi all,

This has probably been covered somewhere but couldn't find any info on it. I have a 96 Wizard 4JG2. The power steering (pump or assembly - somewhere in the front) seems to be making a noise and vibrations are coming up the steering wheel itself. I have checked the reservoir and it is full. There are noticeable leaks around the rack/assembly dripping a little fluid. The pump itself looks ok cant see any leaking there, belt looks in reasonable condition.

Any thoughts on where to start would be awesome - not sure if there is a test to perform on the pump to determine if that is working correctly or what but any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Re: Wizard 4JG2 Power Steering issues

Postby geeves » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:18 pm

The leak in the steering box is probably the input seal. If its not leaking much leave it till the wof guy notices or it gets worse. Vibration could be pump or box. Does it do it when you turn the wheel or all the time?
Why are you calling it a rack? Your model should be reticulating ball unless you have a later car than stated.
Most common place for noise is the pump. Take the belts off and check the pulley for side play and see if it turns smoothly. Whith the belts completly off run the engine to ensure the noise has stopped. You can take the car for a short drive like this but the steering will be very heavy and the aircomn wont work
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks for the info geeves. I have my terminology backwards and yes it is how you describe. It is only noticeable when turning...ill whip the belts off and start their, then look into replacing some seals...hopefully these are common enough to find easily.

cheers
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:00 pm

If its the input seal only get it from Holden. The one with the same number wont take the pressure
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust