• Advertisement

2.8 MU Turbo upgrade options

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Re: 2.8 MU Turbo upgrade options

Postby tonkamu » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:09 pm

I have no muffler, I've got a straight 2.25 pipe to out the back by spare wheel, I do have a flexi joint with baffle but that's it.

Would a shorten pipe out the side before rear passenger side wheel make a difference?

Its quite strange how these things effect the turbo spooling and turbo exhaust sound

It makes me want to just run a disconnect exhaust and downpipe only lol
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:47 pm

The shorter and more straight the pipe the more noise you will have, also every bend slows the air down abit
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby greegree » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:07 pm

that looks really good. nice set up
greegree
Isuzu Baby

City: Hastings
Vehicle: 1985Isuzu MU 1.3L turbo diesel

Postby tonkamu » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks. I think I need to upgrade the clutch, its slipping when I get into peak power
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby tonkamu » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Just an update, anyone thinking about using the vf10 exhaust housing instead of the factory Isuzu one I can recommend it, it does have some pro's and con's. I think you get more playable boost, it holds boost well into 3k rpm doesn't seem to run out of steam. The turbo sits further away from the engine because of the adapter I think this allows for easier time to fit a big downpipe. Can't really get high boost as early anymore.

Going onto the motorway to get to 100 with decent foot it used to be rather quick with the factory turbo at 17psi and fuel turned up. Now with vf10 setup its just nuts! the weight shifts to the back and the turbo screams like a WRX. The rest of the car doesn't feel up to the job of handling it and driving it easy on road in the wet with a rear LOKKA now has become scary. But pretty happy with the gains, total cost with downpipe new bolts/gaskets and exhaust attached was around the same price of a new original turbo.

Next upgrade is trying to sort out a better setup for intake/airbox k&n filter but with out spending a lot. Cheers for the help I've received from this forum.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

Previous

Return to Engines and Exhaust