• Advertisement

Taking on water in sils MU

For faults and questions about your body and chassis

Taking on water in sils MU

Postby tonkamu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Anyone had an issue with passenger side sils filling with water after a rain storm? I have sealed the weather strip from top to bottom on windscreen and the roof has no leaks and weather strip roof/rear quarter panels are good to. I can't find where else it could be entering, pretty sure its happening when the car is sitting and there is abit of a wind with the rain. After 1 night it will have about 2-4 litres of water collected.

Could it be entering through where the hole for my snorkel fits in front side panel I have not water sealed that, and I also have an opening where the aerial was.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Re: Taking on water in sils MU

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:34 pm

all cars are designed to leeak a little into the sills etc. The trick is not stopping the water getting in its ensuring it can get back out. Make sure all the drains are clear. Ive had this after playing in the mud and a screwdriver liberated a lot more than 3 or 4 litres water
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Body and Chassis