• Advertisement

Help snapped rear body mount bolt Mu

For faults and questions about your body and chassis

Help snapped rear body mount bolt Mu

Postby tonkamu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Will put some pictures up but I managed to snap a high tensile bolt trying to get it out for my body lift. The mount is the smaller rear one near the fuel hose, I think its the only mount you can't reach the top of?

I can still move the body from the chassis, It sticks out half an inch and rubs on the lower mount while driving. I haven't tried to get it out yet still scratching my head and so have the mechanics I've briefly asked.

Anyone have an ideas how to get it out?
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Re: Help snapped rear body mount bolt Mu

Postby Brinky » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:29 am

Did you get the bolt out? I would like to do a little body lift on my Mu but don't want to get it certified. I wonder if the WOF boys will notice 10mm packers of rusty old steel slid under the mounts? I have pushed up the autotrans and transfer case hard up into the floor tunnel and could do with a an extra 10mm of clearance now.
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

City: AUCKLAND
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8l UCS55
Auto Trans, Inter-cooled, 2" Raised, Standard dump pipe with 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, Snorkel, Raised Trans and Transfer Box with modified cross brace, Not lifted, 32 muds, Runva 9500 winch, disconnected sway bar, double air lockers

Postby tonkamu » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:26 pm

They probably wont notice 10mm spacers unless it looked obvious.

Nah I haven't had a go at that bolt, not sure how to get the broken bolt out.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby geeves » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:24 pm

I think the only way is drill and retap but its not a nice job
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Brinky » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 am

Quite often when you start drilling with the smaller drills and opening the hole out the rusted bolt will start to move. Only the really bad ones don't loosen up and they need to be tapped out the best you can. Guess its also in a place you can't get any heat (gas torch) onto being near the fuel tank. Good luck.
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

Auto Trans, Inter-cooled, 2" Raised, Standard dump pipe with 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, Snorkel, Raised Trans and Transfer Box with modified cross brace, Not lifted, 32 muds, Runva 9500 winch, disconnected sway bar, double air lockers

Postby tonkamu » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:43 pm

that's all good in theory if I could reach that broken bit of bolt which starts about 4 or 5 inches above the bottom body mount up a small hole. id need a drill bit over 6 inches long small enough to start a small hole with out sliding off and it would have to be made out of some sort of really hard alien metal.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Was I reading correctly that there is a stub about an inch long? No promises but this might work. (better odds than winning lotto on consecutive weeks) Tonight spray your favorite penetrating oil on it generously. Tomorrow night do it again. Repeat for 12 evenings. Then following morning while your kids are opening their presents get your mole grips and if you have been good this year Santa might let you unwind your present.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Brinky » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 am

It is possible to buy extended drill bits from engineering trade shops. If Santa doesn't work his magic try and find a very long 5mm. I'm sure I have one at home around 200mm long. I have made extended drills by drilling a hole into the end of a steel rod (easy in a lathe) then brazing the drill bit into the extended steel rod. I know I can see the rubber mounts with the rear bumpers removed but you might be right about not being able to see the other side the threaded nut. I must have a look. If you have to drill, and if possible, cut the 1/2" sticking out off first to give yourself a flat surface to start with. If I can help you are welcome to bring your truck around to my place, just message me. Good luck.
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

Return to Body and Chassis