• Advertisement

4JG2 Intercooler install

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

4JG2 Intercooler install

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi all,

I have a 4JG2 UCS69 Wizard - Looking for some clarification. I have a intercooler off a bighorn I found cheap and am wanting to fit this. As oppose to cutting a hole in the bonnet and getting a scoop which is a bit of work, I was intending on fitting a wee 10" fan to the underside of the intercooler.

Question being, will the intercooler touch or rub up against the bonnet if there is no scoop cut out?

Appreciate any advice.
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Re: 4JG2 Intercooler install

Postby tonkamu » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Not sure if the wizard is more like a Mu or bighorn, im thnking its more of a mu? If it is the same size as a mu engine bay wise, you won't be able to fit a fan or the intercooler plastic shroud with out making new shorter mounts or having a body lift that drops the engine abit into the bay. FYI you need an opening in your bonnet to get an air flow with out outside air you might aswell forget about a fan and just have the intercooler.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby Dinger95 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:51 am

On the bighorn there is a rubber baffle that contacts the top mount intercooler, not sure on the wizard if it would contact the bonnet or not.
Without the hole in the bonnet you would just be pulling hot engine bay air over the cooler, in their stock config they get heat soak from the engine and some add fans to the topside to compensate.

You would likely be better off with a intercooler front mounted, if you want to leave the bonnet stock.
Dinger95
Isuzu Baby

City: York
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo (Mu Wizard / Frontera / UCS7VF)

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Not sure if it's all worth it getting a FMIC plumbed up, but the heat soak issue mentioned does make sense.

Will keep thinking.

Thanks again :)
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Postby rustyvr4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:07 am

i have the mu. same motor etc as your wizard. going for fmic. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-pa ... 401461.htm will also use https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-pa ... 401524.htm this will allow for a gap beside radiator for intercooler plumbing to run. as i,m not into off roading so clogging up fmic wont be a problem.
No officer i wasn,t slideways i think you was seeing things sir
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

City: tauranga
Vehicle: 1996 mu 3.1 turbo MANUAL, running 20psi. fuel maxed out. air adjustable shocks in rear. gas struts on bonnet

Postby rustyvr4 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:14 pm

20190215_162359.jpg
i have no air con in the way for this placement. stage 1 complete. more to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rustyvr4 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
No officer i wasn,t slideways i think you was seeing things sir
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

City: tauranga
Vehicle: 1996 mu 3.1 turbo MANUAL, running 20psi. fuel maxed out. air adjustable shocks in rear. gas struts on bonnet

Postby DonaldNZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Anyone know if a bighorn bonnet with scoop fit the wizard ?
if it does I'd consider taking the two tone hit of a different bonnet colour so I could run a inter cooler.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Postby DonaldNZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm

I did help with the wiring for a air con cooled inter cooler kit from aussie on a 500+hp commodore that had a switch on the dash that would divert ac from the cabin to the inter cooler heat exchanger, the word was it made a very significant improvement and he could def feel the extra kick of power. Our question would be at 120hp would the benifit cost in hp be worth it. not to mention the $k's in blinging it parts and setup.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:33 pm

The bonets don't swap but a dremmel will make the scoop fit
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:13 am

If your wanting to make power ac is the last thing you want to be using
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby DonaldNZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:52 pm

maybe
what if the power gain is greater than the power consumed by the a/c?
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby tonkamu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:02 pm

Cool idea never heard of that before. Must be a reason why its not a common thing to hear about tho :geek: Does that a/c air enter before the turbo intake, wouldn't that nice cold air just turn warm once past the turbo passing intercooler and a warm intake mani.

Water to air intercooler seems to be the way to go.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby geeves » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Big trucks run refrigerated intercoolers but they run high capacity high boost pluss other magic to get 700+ kw all day every day. Race trucks are the same engines just pushed a little harder and 1000kw is common
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Ac will cool intake temps but it's like having a supercharger it robs power to make power just soesnt make sense, just use a w2a system and water meth
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby DonaldNZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:32 pm

a/c air is not used, the intercooler is only liquid cooled and the liquid [a water & antifreeze mix] is circulated by a small electric pump from the inter cooler into another heat exchanger along with the a/c gas.
Seemed a complicated way to get more power to me too.
I guess sometimes 500 horses just aint enough .
This guy was into the 1/4 mile.

https://www.pwr.com.au/products/interco ... tercoolers

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/08/usi ... st-charge/
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby DonaldNZ » Thu May 02, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm considering this too, did you do it and do you like the improvement ?

I've been advised setting the boost to 12 psi [rather than 8-10 factory ] should lower the engine temps & improve engine longevity too.

Should the bonnet scoop be a tunnel with the rear as open as the front so when in low low grinding up a 30 minute hill it helps with cooling ?
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Return to Engines and Exhaust