• Advertisement

starter relay

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

starter relay

Postby geeves » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:29 pm

does anyone have a part number for a starter relay please. I think mine is dodgy. When hot it goes click but nothing else happens. Touching a battery lead onto the sense terminal on the starter starts the engine so its not the starter and the relay is the next easiest test
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: starter relay

Postby DonaldNZ » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:45 am

I'd check for power to one of the relay contacts with a test light before condemning the relay in case of a blown fuse or poor connection feeding power to the relay.
if yes then I'd join that heavy power wire to the wire going to the starter and expect it to crank to check the wire going to the starter.
Then I'd consider pulling the cover off the relay and clean the contacts and check for a little wiping / self cleaning with around d one mm of moving contact over travel.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:30 pm

Only had a quick look and not home for the next week. With the relay removed from the rack I could feel it click but I didn't know they could be opened. Will try these checks
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby DonaldNZ » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:14 am

some fresh 800 grit paper should do it, I finish by polishing the contact with the back of the paper, should be just convex and not flat to encourage the self cleaning.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 am

how do you open them?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby DonaldNZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:09 pm

got a photo from underneath ?
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby DonaldNZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:23 pm

often a bread and butter knife will do it, or a jewelers flat screwdriver, warm it up to 50 - 70 degrees C so the plastic is only just too hot to touch, then it'll be alot harder to split the plastic.

if its sealed unit hold them in the vice with only 1mm proud of the jaws and use a hacksaw 5 mm up from the bottom swage or joining lip, do this to all sides , the 1mm stops you hacking into the winding as much

If you're for real, and plan to reuse and not just for inspection, do it on the side [ one end ] of the vice jaws so the plastic filings don't all fall into the relay and cause grief down the road.
after making your contact a beautiful thing with 1mm of post make travel to promote self cleaning, get your magnifying glass out to inspect for plastic swarf & stick it back together with your handiest sensor safe neutral cure [ no vinegar smell & doesn't eat copper] rtv [room temperature vulcanizing ] silicone sealer adhesive.
Once cleaned, the contacts will be addicted to your treatment every 5 years as you may be through the hard surfacing on the contact faces. worth it if it'll save you a hundy.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm

I got it open with a hacksaw and it looked perfect inside. If I don't find it the easy answer is a new wire to a switch on the dash. Imagine a start switch from a wrecked jag or similar. I've got a permanently attached hot wire now just touch it on the battery and the starter turns. If ignition on it starts.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby DonaldNZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:52 pm

so did you check for power to the relay [one of the two larger wires]
prior to dismantling ?
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:01 pm

yes but I havnt been able to check while its in a failed state. It only fails when the car is hot and only stopped for 0 to 5 minutes. Last time was because I slipped into an axle deep water hole with a large stump at the front. 1 person touched the wire on the battery while I had the other end touched on the sense terminal while standing in knee deep water
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby DonaldNZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 pm

" When hot it goes click but nothing else happens. "

So I'd be checking for power to one of the large terminals when hot when it clicks and doesnt wind over.
it'll be easy to tell as it'll be the wire which isn't going to the starter excite terminal. If power is present and relay clicks , then likely relay faulty, moist likely a loss of power to the relay [ via a 40amp + fuse ] again it can be confirmed which fuse by following the heavy wire powering the relay contact.

Any relay will do short term , but I'd fit a higher current capable relay, an old school starter solenoid as fitted to an old english car would be best [cheapest and high current capable ] if you have the real estate.

hope that makes sense.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Return to Electrical