• Advertisement

Noisy grinding sound after fitting 33s! Help!

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Noisy grinding sound after fitting 33s! Help!

Postby 32theworld » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 am

So I went from 31s on 15x8s to 33s on 15x10 and all of a sudden I had this loud grinding kind of noise, instantly sounded like a bad wheel bearing.. so I checked all, and drivers side was bad. (felt rumbling on hub when spinning wheel by hand) So i replaced that but its still there.. I've checked other bearings and they seem fine, barely any play not much noise, BUT when i jack up the rear and spin the rear wheels i can feel a really slight rumbling through the rear axle, on both sides it is equal.. so that tells me it cant be a bearing because one side would be more rumbly then the other?? correct me if im wrong, but its got me lost. the noise I hear while driving doesn't happen until I get to around 50kmh and it sounds like ultra insanley noisy mud tyres (trust me its not the tyres haha). Also my rear calipers are a little bit wobbly, unsure if this is normal for mu. only like 1mm each side wobble though, not much what so ever and its both sides, and drivers side while reversing the brake pad catches on the hub lol, sounds horrible but stops after i slam on the brakes.. any help appreciated thanks veery much guys
32theworld
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu, 31s, 15x8s, Snorkel, Manual, 2.8TD, more to come.

Re: Noisy grinding sound after fitting 33s! Help!

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:34 pm

can you try putting the old wheels back on? Could be the wheel is touching something
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby 32theworld » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Swapped my old wheels for these ones haha, wheel isn't touching any where, they are -44 offset also.. its got me stumped haha
32theworld
Isuzu Baby

Postby turnturn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:54 pm

Does the noise change or go away with steering lock applied?

Does the noise change or go away when braking?

Rear diff head?

Driveshaft/universals?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:15 am

Did you lift it at the same time? After lifting mine I was plagued with a vibration between 90 and 100kph that would only happen over about 2kph but the actual speed it happened varied with throttle. Couldnt find a thing and put up with it for 2 years. Its only when my other car threw a radiator the day before a South island holiday so I took the Bighorn that the cause became obvious. Drove Picton to Lake Harwea and a different noise started. Checking that out it turned out I had forgotton to unlock the hubs and the cv boots had polished themselves and were now squawking. No issue but in checking things I touched the rear universal joint. Left the charred remains of my finger tips attached to the joint. Borrowed a grease gun in Cromwell and loaded up both u joints and it got me home but by then the front joint had enough play to suggest no rollers left and the rear also had lots of play. It wasnt fun to drive between Blenhiem and Picton. Or for the week after getting home while waiting for a radiator for the other car. Took the driveshaft out and found both joints were very stiff at the end of the travel ie partially siezed. New joints vibration gone
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby 32theworld » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:03 am

hmm could check out the joints Geeves and noise sometimes slightly changes when turning around a corner at 60kmh, but not much, cant really hear it at 100kmh but annoying at 50kmh, and diff head seems to be fine im not to sure
32theworld
Isuzu Baby

Postby 32theworld » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Noticed the noise gets quieter if I slightly swerve left while going 100kmh
32theworld
Isuzu Baby

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension