• Advertisement

Rear main seal/crank seal keeps leaking

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Rear main seal/crank seal keeps leaking

Postby tonkamu » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Hey all, I had my main rear seal replaced when I did my clutch, the old one was slightly leaking nothing to major but thought I'd get it done since the box was out.

After a few weeks the new seal started leaking a lot, oil out where the box and bellhousing mate and onto the cross member and drips from both sides of cross member onto the ground, it never used to be that bad.
So had the seal replaced again, and first day it starts leaking again.

Not sure what to do, try a 3rd time lucky?
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Re: Rear main seal/crank seal keeps leaking

Postby stardog » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:35 pm

I just got my rear seal replaced $1110 no more leaks would of done it myself 10 years ago but im getting to old now and have broken and fractured to many bones arthritis is a bitch.
I had same problem oil from the back of engine leaking on cross member both sides wasn't game to go to far from home but no more leaks plus a warranty its time to start to travel again out bush .
You might need a speedy sleeve might fix it.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:01 am

Are you certain its the engine not gearbox?
Its hard to tell from outside as the oil picks up the gunge from inside the bellhousing
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:46 pm

The rear moons on the sump leak aswell out the corners, seals dont normally crap out that fast, make sure it has grease on the seal lips and tap it in
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby tonkamu » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 am

Both times its been done by Gear box factory East Tamaki Auckland, they have a good reputation. So I've never seen inside.

The guy told me it had been leaking from the input shaft on the new seal before replacing it with another new seal. Engine is 1991 not sure if 200k on the clock is legit, maybe its all quite lose down there.

But my old original seal didn't leak enough oil to reach the ground. Both new seals they put in, I'm getting the same 2 oil spots on the ground after parking, dripping off the crossmember each side.

I'll mention to him the sump and gearbox seals but the oil is black, doubtful it's gearbox oil.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby SPASE » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi tonkamu, I know this was a long time ago but did you end up sorting out what the issue was as I am having the exact same issue except I have only had the one new rear seal replaced. Travelled just over 1000kms and its leaking just as you described. Thinking possibly the sump rear half moon gasket?? Anyone else have this problem?
SPASE
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4jg2.

Postby Bighorney66613 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Did you replace leaky seal with the right option of seal when you bought replacement. They list 2 for the 4JG2 one with a speedy sleeve and one without. There was a design change in the seals after production, I have just done one myself and went with the option that has the metal sleeve. Not a single drop has leaked......thus far
Bighorney66613
I'm only here for the information

City: Rotorua
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4JG2-T diesel, Manual

Postby topgun94 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Hey mate
Genuine seals only installed with the proper installation tool. I had 2 leak and only fixed it with this method.
I wrote a thread on it.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6976&p=43533&hilit=genuine+seal#p43533
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Return to Engine