• Advertisement

Rear Main seal 4jb1t

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Rear Main seal 4jb1t

Postby topgun94 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:12 pm

SO - After many of hours trolling the forums across the internet. I came to the conclusion that this time when i replace the Rear main - i would use a genuine ISUZU seal to prevent ANOTHER leak.
I had my clutch replaced 20k ago and at the time had the rear main replaced (Which was leaking) - They replaced it with an aftermarket ONE piece seal.
This Aftermarket seal is a double lipped seal that is easily pushed in with your fingers and/or small amount of hitting with blunt chisel /rubber mallet.
The GENUINE isuzu seal is what at first glance a one piece seal. Upon further investigation it would seem it is a two piece seal. In the third picture you can see the inner and outer ring seperated by what seems to be a soft foam of some description.
the inner ring easily rotates around within the outer. This seal IS NOT able to be pushed on with my fingers. And due to the Cost (95$) and the construction of the seal i am not prepared to persuade it with a rubber hammer to have it leak again in 20k.
The picture with the boxes was taken from the old forum and my numbers matched the new seal in the plastic bag.

On monday i am going to try and track a tool hire company (and do it myself) or a engine rebuilding shop that will install the seal for me.
Brisbane ISUZU said they could install the seal but takes 1.5hrs at 135Per hour. They charge 135 PH from the depot (about an hour from my house).
14.jpg
13.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Re: Rear Main seal 4jb1t

Postby blairreed » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:15 pm

I made a metal band on the lathe at work that sits behind the seal so it gave me something to lightly tap on with the hammer and distribute the load more evenly. only put about 5000ks on the truck since I changed the seal but it seem to be holding up fine. (just and idea if you cant find anything else)

"adventure is the respectful pursuit of trouble"
blairreed
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1993 MU

Postby topgun94 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Realised i never finished this thread off.
4 years of happy trucking and no leaking rear main seal.
Below is a link to the tool i used to complete the job. I ended up just buying one and it works for my 4jb1t and 4jj1 dmax.
https://www.ozwidetools.com.au/gm-isuzu ... ation-tool
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby paulthepilot5 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:18 pm

I was about to reply and say I have a seal tool I made you could borrow, guess I’m 4years too late :lol:
paulthepilot5
Isuzu Junior

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 2.8d
Compound twin Turbo
12mm fuel Pump
+50 injectors
Water/meth injection

TF Rodeo ute 2WD short wheelbase
2.8 4JB1T
Inline injection pump conversion
+50 injectors