• Advertisement

Power steering problem - UCS69 Wizard

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Power steering problem - UCS69 Wizard

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 am

I have a 96 UCS69 Wizard 4JG2.

Recently the PS system has been doing some weird things. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a minor sound similar to that of low ps fluid. I opened up the ps reservoir and it was virtually full. I topped it up a little anyway. A couple of days later I noticed the sound returning and some fluid (I assumed the extra I had added) coming out of the top of the reservoir. Inspecting the reservoir I noticed a small relief hole which they must have designed should the fluid level exceed that of the reservoir, I am assuming. I looked for bubbles for a clue of air entering the system but couldn't really see any. I checked around the low pressure side of the hoses for any leaks or cracks and cannot see any. I put my head down by the steering box for any sign of leaks and cannot see any. The pump has been rebuilt in the last 6 months so can't imagine anything there being a issue.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I guess the next logical thing to do would be perhaps removing and inspecting the steering box...?

Cheers in advance!
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Re: Power steering problem - UCS69 Wizard

Postby geeves » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Is the fluid pink or red? Pink will be suspended air and a leaky pump the most probable cause
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby andy120 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 am

Last time we had that issue, it was the pump. the vanes and housing were damaged. Getting the steering box out is a real pain if you don't have a pitman arm puller.
andy120
Isuzu Junior

City: Gore
Vehicle: 2 manual Wizards + 1 auto

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:07 pm

Following up from this...about 2 weeks after posting this I heard a rattling noise coming from the pump. I popped the hood and could see a huge amount of play in the pump pully. Stopped the engine immediately, pulled the pump and took it into a shop. The guy said if it had been on there much longer it would be a new pump but luckily it could be rebuilt, so $200ish later installed and no leaking or issues. So I guess air was getting in past the pully and forcing air up into the reservoir somehow (where it was leaking).

fyi I don't know if 2 is needed but I have only 1 ps belt.
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:05 pm

second belt is more for the aircon. If you had left it much longer he should of said the shaft can break sending the pulley through the radiator. Been there done that
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Brinky » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:28 pm

I have just fitted a new power steering pump to the Mu today. The old one was not working well in the bush, even after flushing the fluid. The new unit is a Chinese Aliexpress $65 unit (plus $60 freight), so should be interesting to see how long it lasts. First drive around the block, and lots of full lock to full lock tests while idling, worked much better than the old pump. Its not a daily driver so will hopefully last a few years on club trips. I will let you know if the pump dies anytime soon.
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

City: AUCKLAND
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8l UCS55
Auto Trans, Inter-cooled, 2" Raised, Standard dump pipe with 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, Snorkel, Raised Trans and Transfer Box with modified cross brace, Not lifted, 32 muds, Runva 9500 winch, disconnected sway bar, double air lockers

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:23 pm

Brinky - how did you get on with that Aliexpress pump? I haven't had the courage in buying anything from Aliexpress/chinese re-manufactures in regards to car parts but am interested to see how it worked out for you. I may need a new turbo in the near future and currently 50/50 on the idea.
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension