• Advertisement

4JG2 Diesel engine Specs

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JG2 Diesel engine Specs

Postby cpatters » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Can any one tell me if the 96 4JG2 Diesel engine has timing gears like the 98 model or does it have a belt ? I have found 98-2000 manuals but cant find a manual for the 96. Cheers
Craig
cpatters
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 96 SWB Bighorn 3.1 Diesel Manual (Tow Wagon)
94 SWB Bighorn 3.2 V6 Auto (Class 2 Offroad Race Truck)

Re: 4JG2 Diesel engine Specs

Postby BalkaRoo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 pm

I don't realy know the answer so I hope "geeves" or someone else more knowledgeable jumps in but I have been going through simmilar things with my 1988 4JB1T. I got a belt to do some maintainance and then found out it is gear drive, anyway yesterday while I was down in Perth I went around to a 4WD wrecker and they had a 4JB1 and what was surposed to be a 4JG2 sitting side by side on a pallet and they were "both" gear drives ! I don't know how to tell the two series apart, but that is what the bloke I was talking to reconed it was. If its got a steel cover over the timing chest aparently its gear drive and plastic means belt drive. The black coloured steel cover of the gear drive has a sound deadening material under the cover between it and the aluminium front plate that encloses the timing gear set. I found it has a "lump" in the cover that corresponds with where you would need a boss for the bearing that carries the idler gear between the crank and injection clearly visible in the front. If its got this lump and a metalic cover likely gear drive, plastic cover with no lump = belt drive.

I got some answers on this site when I asked about my problem several days ago and I think one of the posters said they had heard that there were gear drive 4JG2s but that he had never seen one so they must be probibally early versions as with the 4JB1s the gear drives are the first and then the belt drives came later.
I must check out my thread when I finnish writing this and see what was said, sometimes my memory is a bit iffy.

Goodluck,
Graham
BalkaRoo
Isuzu Baby

City: Quairading
Vehicle: 1984 Jackaroo 2 Ltr
1988 Jackaroo 2.8 Ltr Diesel
1887 Jackaroo 2.2 Ltr Diesel

Postby cyberbeej » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:23 am

i've got a 96 imported bighorn with the 4GJ2 engine and just done the timing belt.
hope that helps in some way.

i've got a manual for mine on cdrom if youneed more info.
cyberbeej
Isuzu Baby

City: Dalry
Vehicle: 97' trooper, 3 inch lift, and 96' bighorn

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 am

The manual for the 98 is the same as the earlier model except that the earlier one might not have electronic control. The only gear drive 4jg2s will be in Jackeroos if they exist. They wont be in any jap imports
The gear drive also has the smaller oil filter.
The comments on the timeing cover are correct
the 4jb1t changed to belt drive in 88 In a bighorn/trooper the belt drive should also be intercooled. Most oil filter books say the larger filter is only for the intercooled engine but Mus have no intercooler and the later engine
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Youve got my interest. Is your manual either of the 2 below?
96-2005trooper.pdf trooperMANUAL.pdf
If so have a look at the fuel system. Both of these manuals state they are for the later model but neither have any electronic control in the fuel pump.
If yours has electronic control covered and is in pdf format send me a pm and I will arrange to swap a copy
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby bavarian » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:27 am

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I am currently live in southern California. I recently purchased a 1994 Isuzu Bighorn Irmscher. it has 3.1L TD.
I am looking for a local repair shop that can work on this engine. or anyone can restore the whole vehicle.
I also need the repair manual for this vehicle. Please share with me if you have it. thank you so much
bavarian
I'm only here for the information

City: Santa Ana
Vehicle: 1994 ISUZU bighorn 3.1 turbo diesel Irmscher

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:38 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?i36dwl1pkhb4g
This is the manual for your wagon
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine