• Advertisement

Occasional grinding noise front right of 96 3.1..

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Re: Occasional grinding noise front right of 96 3.1..

Postby mudgrip4 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:36 pm

Thanks guys - thorough check coming on saturday.
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 3.1 Bighorn lwb

Postby mudgrip4 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:09 am

Well we nailed part of problem - the green 4wd light that always remained on. And this may have been a cause of other noises in front as part of front axle was remaining engaged.

Re green light remaining on, we checked vacuum hoses, tested switches on front diff, then wiring back to t/case, tested connections on case etc - and could not solve problem of green light remaining on - even though front wheel up test showed it wasn't in 4wd. Found a vacc hose starting to split and fixed that but still light on. Then while mate was plugging and unplugging connection to t/case, he heard a click-click in engine bay. Followed that up and it was from a 4wd relay in fuse box - marked FADC. Had on old spare charge relay from alternator change so popped that in as replacement, and problem gone. It was that relay. Good to have it done - and something to keep in mind. Suspicion is front left axle was not properly disengaging and may have been causing odd noises in front that sound like something not engaging properly. Will test drive to find out..
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:10 pm

You always miss the things that dont make sense. I had the grinding inm my Wizard and clicked quickly as to it being an issue with part engaged 4wd. No light though. It seemed like it only happened on right hand corners. That led me into the diagram in the book which still doesnt make sense but was the way it was plumbed to my own manual activation solution which only failed once. A solenoid failed while on holiday. Swap the lines good to go. Trip to picapart when home and find a new one hiding in a pajero
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:29 pm

Yep - takes time to track some minor issues esp when intermittent.

Anyway ...4wd system/green light working well now, but grind in front right continued. We had replaced upper outer A-arm bearing a week or so ago, and pulled wheel off again today. Found a small stone stuck in brake cover, then removing non-free wheel hub outer cap we found heaps of shitty old grease full of iron filings!! And a CV shaft with plenty of play. The little CV support bearing has also collapsed. So - not one issue in front right but THREE. Not majors, but still three. No wonder causes can be hard to track down. Will get the new CV roller support bearing this week - plus seal - and should be good to go. An extended process of elimination solving some of these problems..
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:07 pm

I owned my wizard for 5 years and adjusted the wheel bearing once. Never replaced the alternator or starter. It was family car and rarely off road and never in water. These are just routine maintenance items on both my current bighorn and the one it replaced.
Treat them rough and they repay in kind
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:41 pm

Yes .. I'll get this Bighorn running well then it will be sold. Be a good buy for somebody - well set up unit. Likely my last offroader...

96 3.1 has been quite good, but not a patch on my lwb 2.8 1988 bighorn - that was a beauty. Much lower on maintenance, alot better fuel economy - better in almost every respect although 96 3.1 has the more comfortable ride. But not by much.
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:08 pm

IMG_20221002_122009_2.jpg
I love my 94 swb but really the only place it is better than my old 2.8 lwb is the coil rear suspension. This thing easily out articulates the leaf springs but the 2.8 had more power and sipped far more frugally. Yes its more comfortable as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:45 pm

Well finally nailed the noises in front right.. Turned out to be 3 issues!! Upper outer balljoint stuffed, small stone in back of brake cover, and in the weekend we removed and replaced one completely stuffed CV support needle roller bearing. No wonder there were filings in the front hub cover cap - the roller bearing was just a shell with just 3-4 crunched up roller bits remaining. CV shaft ok. $58 trade to replace bearing and seal which is ok. Higlights need to keep that little bearing and the shaft greased whenever you're in there. Dam some things are hard to track..

Yes had two 2.8s and loved them. Tough little units. Took my modified 2.8 swb and 25 club trucks many moons ago to a ramp index articulation night at local 4wd shop. It was 6th best of the 25 - surprisingly good. But that one had sway bar disconnects and all sorts of goodies.

Will take my 3.1 LWB for last outing this weekend.. I'd pick my LWB modded 2.8 over it any day, but the 3.1s are certainly a sweet ride. Yes 2.8 brilliant on fuel, easier to tune for more power (mech pump etc), and way less maintenance. Better motor.
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

Previous

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion