• Advertisement

Higher rating front hooks on 3.1 Bighorn?

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Higher rating front hooks on 3.1 Bighorn?

Postby mudgrip4 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:17 am

My 96 Bighorn has factory front hook - unrated - fixed with 10ml bolts. For our Cantab club we need stamped/rated hooks fitted right through chassis rail with 12ml 8.8 standard bolts. Or an equivalent strength setup. I cannot see how I can fit hook thru chassis as radiator sits above present position. Can anyone who has done this club spec mod please advise how it was done - am not in the market to buy a bullbar for the truck.

Thanks
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 3.1 Bighorn lwb

Re: Higher rating front hooks on 3.1 Bighorn?

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:39 pm

I might have a tjm alloy bar for sale soon. It will be cheap as it isnt pretty but it has hooks fitted by Howat engineering in Wellington who was one of the go to engineers in the 4wd rally truck market until he retired. These hooks have been passed by Wellington Cross Country club. Wellington family 4x4 and Cristchurch 4wd club. I have a new bar to go on and the hooks on that are stronger. (bolted through 6mm steel and another 6mm backing plate which has a 3rd 12mm bolt further back)
Without a bullbar you may have to fabricate a mount to pick up the 2 10mm bolts the hook uses now and at least one other captive bolt point with your hook between the bolts. 3 10mm bolts are about the same strength as 2 12mm bolts but you need to get the load balanced between all 3
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:48 pm

Good to hear -- two bighorn 3.1s getting set up here to club specs at the moment. When you say bar not pretty - do you mean needs a paint job or is it dented?
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 3.1 Bighorn lwb

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:33 am

Its an alloy bar but has a Howat engineering custom made winch cradle which incorporates the hooks. Probably 10 times what TJM considered a winch cradle to be. Both sides have been pushed back as far as the tyre by wayward trees then straightened at least once but you can still tell its age from its wrinkles.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion