• Advertisement

Stripping donor 3.1 mu for my 2.8 parts stash

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Stripping donor 3.1 mu for my 2.8 parts stash

Postby mumanbeing » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:34 pm

So have the word on the gearbox and driveshaft to replace the bust up 2.8 box.... (Massive gratitude for the prompt reply and information Geeves!)

While I'm up with my mate to drop the box & shaft (wait.. phrasing?) Off the dead 3.1 Mu, are there any other parts that y'all would recommend me stripping off the 3.1 that can become parts for the 2.8 should I need them in the future. Would save me time and money in the future if I need to hunt parts for the 2.8

Ie:
Water pump, CVs, alternator, radiator, air filter element, turbo, dif, pipes, belts, electric window motors etc etc....

Will be stripping off from the 3.1 : gearbox& driveshaft (as mentioned before) the badass roof bars, bash plate from the lower front, and a couple of non-critical bits that are damaged/missing from the 2.8

Gratitude for advice. Beers to be delivered to advisors when I celebrate the finished project 2.8mu by doing a lap of the country ;D
mumanbeing
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Mu 4jb1 turbo
Intercooler/scoop modification
Snorkel, custom bar work, spotlights
Much love needed

Re: Stripping donor 3.1 mu for my 2.8 parts stash

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Water pump, only if you need it now They are cheap enough and dont store well
CVs, If they are the same 3.1 could have a smaller inner cv and it might be wide body
alternator, yes. Remember how it comes out
radiator, if its good Some 3.1s had plastic tanks though
air filter element, keeping a disposable part? Unless its a special no
turbo, maybe
dif, both diff heads but check ratios. 4.5 is good for larger tyres but your 2.8 is possibly a 4.3
pipes, belts, Not a fan of second hand rubber bits
electric window motors yes they do break
etc etc.... seats, suspension parts if the same Glass, wheels and tyres
Forget the brakes unless you want to do a full swap. 3.1 has bigger brakes and different mounts so you need the full diff housing and front hub assembey to do a full swap. If your mechanic notices you will need cert
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion