• Advertisement

Wizard vs Bighorn vs MU and slow cranking

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Wizard vs Bighorn vs MU and slow cranking

Postby yachtwork » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Hello all. A few days back we lost our Mitsubishi Challenger that we used to tow a double horse float. We had to find another tow vehicle in a rush and came across an Isuzu Wizard, 1998, 3.1 diesel. We bought that and now I am trying to figure out what a Wizard is. It seems to have a half dozen different names and the same engine as the Bighorn, I think? My question is the older Wizard seems to sell for about 3500 here while the old Bighorn sells for double that. So why the difference? Why is the Wizard so cheap? Do you think it the Wizard will tow a horse float?
The second question is this strange situation where when the engine is cold it starts right up. But when it's warm the starter feels like it's dragging. The engine feels like it is going to hit on a cylinder and stop, but it just, just keeps turning and then starts and runs just fine. A bit later, at the gas station, I saw a Bighorn. The guy loved it, sang praises, and said it would tow anything. Then he jumped in to drive away and the starter did the exact same thing. I asked him and he said it always does that. So is that just an Isuzu diesel thing? Then I won't worry about it. Or do I need to buy a new starter?
Thanks for the help.
Scott
yachtwork
Isuzu Baby

City: Matapouri
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu MU Wizard

Re: Wizard vs Bighorn vs MU and slow cranking

Postby yachtwork » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:58 pm

I spent most of last night reading the past posts on this forum. There is a lot of good info here. About the slow-turning starter, I found a post about cleaning the battery cables. On inspection, I found the cable from the Bendix type solenoid to the starter to be corroded. I was not able to clean it properly yet, but I did manage to wiggle the nut and that solved the starting issue. I still don't know why the Wizard seems to sell for about half the Bighorn but I am sure that will become clear some time. Thanks again for all the good posts.
Scott
yachtwork
Isuzu Baby

City: Matapouri
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu MU Wizard

Re: Wizard vs Bighorn vs MU and slow cranking

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:00 am

Wizard is a suv body on the rodeo ute chassis Same mechanicals and a nice truck. Its a little lighter that the bighorn which could make the bighorn a better option with a heavy horse float
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion