• Advertisement

Mechanic in CHCH please

For discussion about organised trips and events in NZ

Mechanic in CHCH please

Postby PUMPS » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Evening chaps. As a newbie to Isuzu this forum has been a great wealth of knowledge.
However, I need to give my truck to someone who knows what they are doing.
I have tried to find a mechanic or fellow enthusiast who understands and enjoys, particularly bighorns.
I had a chat to my independent garage but he is mainly a WOF guy and didnt give me a great deal of confidence.

Can someone recommend a mechanic in CHCH please.
I would ideally like to fix the truck myself but my enthusiasm has been beaten by my lack of knowledge.
After many, many, many hours of the internets I am waiving a white flag.

Currently she starts and runs great and has no power issues but blows oil out of the dipstick and also white (possibly blueish) smoke on acceleration.
The EGR has been blocked off. Some vacuum pipes have come loose and I am not 100% they went back in the correct location. I have removed the turbo (feels good / not loose) and inter cooler. It did contain oil and this was all cleaned. On re testing I continue to have lots of pressure coming out of the dip stick (has oil can fitted) and smoke white/blueish.

Any advice or if people are having a meet in CHCH I would be keen.

Cheers, Chris.
PUMPS
Isuzu Baby

City: CHCH
Vehicle: BIGHORN 4GJ2 96

Re: Mechanic in CHCH please

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:42 am

What part of Christchurch are you in? I could suggest someone in Rangiora but thats no help if you are in Hornby etc.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby PUMPS » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:53 am

Hi Geeves,

Thanks for the reply.
The 4JG2 is in Shirley. It is drivable but obviously I don't want to cause more damage.
I now suspect possibly worn rings and potentially a compression test might be a good idea.
I have done what I can but I am now at a loss and have admitted defeat.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
PUMPS
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Sounds a little tired but these engines go a long way like that. The oil catch can might be set up wrong which wont help. What oil are you using? How much is it using? If it starts and runs well all you need to do is sort the crankcase breathing by getting the venting right. Rings might help but often you get no improvement and a full expensive recon or second hand motor is the only fix
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby PUMPS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 am

The oil catch can might be set up wrong which wont help. - Great point. It has only been in a month. This is my wife's main ride and my weekend vehicle. I will take photos of the connections and get back to you.
What oil are you using? Valvoline Engine Armour Engine Oil - 15W-40
i]How much is it using?[/i] Its not. Its blowing it out of the dipstick. My first mistake was taking the family to the west coast. Checked all fluids and I did over fill the oil by ~150 mls and thought it would be okay. Then noticed smoke of acceleration which has slowly got worse but the bighorn is off the road till I get this sorted and the wife is on the bus so im in the dog house.
Normally very little oil is required.~2000.ks might chuck some in until I get to the next oil change.
If it starts and runs well all you need to do is sort the crankcase breathing by getting the venting right. Venting has been my main focus. I have looked at all possible hoses and did find some un attached on the oil filter can. Reattached the best I could but I couldn't find a vacuum diagram so this is a bit of a guess.
Rings might help but often you get no improvement and a full expensive recon or second hand motor is the only fix I am kinda clutching at straws due to limited knowledge and lots of man hours with no returns. After removing the turbo and intercooler with the same outcome my local WOF guy suggested rings/compression. Although its guess work.

The Bighorn has 190ks on the odo. Although I am convinced it had been clocked by the previous owner. Although the engine was great and runs great and that was 7 years ago so not an issue.
I suspect a venting issue but I have hit this dead end.
PUMPS
Isuzu Baby

Postby PUMPS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi Geeves,
For catch can INLET into can number 1. OUTLET from can to air intake point number 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PUMPS
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:34 pm

That should work but how are you draining the can? You could have a line going into a t on the didstick tube. The catch though is that with your amount of blow by it will only drain with the engine stopped.
I did get your other message and will contact you once I know what Im doing. Im working away from town but home this weekend
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to New Zealand Trips, Events and Club Chat